Calculating Hertzian Stress: Equation and Unknown Terms Explained

• Thread starter adrag10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Hertzian stress between a cylinder and rail, using formulas from various sources such as Shigley and Mischke's "Mechanical Engineering Design 6th edition", Advanced Mechanics of Materials by Cook and Young, and Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. The equations involve parameters such as load, Young's modulus, and radius of the cylinders to calculate the stress in different directions. There is also a mention of converting values, but it is not fully explained. The conversation ends with a request for help with understanding the equations.
adrag10
I'm trying to calculate the hertzian stress between a cylinder and rail. I've looked up the formula in Shigley and Mischke's "Mechanical Engineering Design 6th edition". In chapter 2 they give the equation to calculate the width of the area of contact(b) and the max load(Pmax). Once those are known, the equation for stress in the z direction is given as sigma=-Pmax/(1+(z^2/b^2))^.5

I got to that point. But I don't know what the z term is. It's not defined in the book. It's probably something silly I'm overlooking. Could anyone help?

Thanks

Al

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like it is the radius measured in the z direction, but it's tough to tell without a picture. None of my references has the formulation you quote.

I should have given the entire formula. Due to deformation, the area of contact is a narrow rectangle of width 2b and length l. The first equation calculates b.

b={(2F/pi*l)*[(1-v1^2)/E1 + (1-v2^2)/E2]/(d1^-1+d2^-1)}^.5

The diameter of the cylinders is taken into account here. For a cylinder rolling on a flat plane, d2 becomes infinity and so that term goes to zero. The second equation calculates Pmax.

Pmax= 2F/pi*b*l

At that point, I have the load and the area, so I thought it should just be a simple P/A calculation to get the stress. But instead, the formula given is:

stress=-Pmax/[1+(z^2/b^2)]

That is for stress in the z direction which is the maxima. This is for principal stress. There are two other fomulas given for sigma(y) and sigma(x). As for coordinate system, if you imagine two circles, one on top of the other as the side view for contact stress, the z coordinate is the vertical. The line of action for the forces pushing the circles together is the z direction. The y coordinate is the horizontal and is perpendicular to the z. The x-coordinate is coming out of the page toward you.

Al

Last edited:
Or could some provide a simplified equation for Hertzian stress? Someone that has to calculate contact stresses must be using it at work.

Al

In Advanced Mechanics of Materials by Cook and Young, they give a solution to a sphere on a flat plate (sphere with an infinite radius) as:

Contact width being 2a:

[tex]a = 1.109\left[\frac{PR}{E}\right]^{(1/3)}[/tex]

The maximum pressure and thus the max stress, [tex]\sigma_z[/tex]:
[tex]p_o = .388\left[\frac{PE^2}{R^2}\right]^{(1/3)}[/tex]

Where:
P = Applied load
R = Radius of sphere
E = Young's Modulus

In Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain a cylinder on a flat plate is given a max stress as:

[tex]\sigma_c = .798\sqrt{\frac{p}{K_D*C_E}}[/tex]

The width of contact (b) is calculated using:

[tex]b = 1.60\sqrt{p*K_D*C_E}[/tex]

If the two materials are identical the above reduces to:

[tex]\sigma_c = .591\sqrt{\frac{p*E}{K_D}}[/tex]

[tex]b = 2.15\sqrt{\frac{p*K_D}{E}}[/tex]Where:
p = Applied Load

[tex]K_D[/tex] = Diameter of the cylinder (in this case)

[tex]C_E[/tex] = [tex]\left[\frac{1-\nu_1^2}{E_1}\right] + \left[{\frac{1-\nu_2^2}{E_2}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
Good evening friends

my name is vijay from India i am doing my project on one way clutch so i am stuck in deriving hertz stress.

i started the deriving through TOE timoshenkao contact stress and now i am not able to understand in that equation po=.591sqroot ... and after using E Valvue of steel and
we get the value 2531 and later these value is converted to 1743.6 don't no how it was converted.

Kindly help me out through these.

Thanking you
vijay kumar

1. What is Hertzian stress?

Hertzian stress, also known as contact stress, is a type of stress that occurs between two objects in contact. It is caused by the force or pressure applied on the surface of one object by the other object.

2. How is Hertzian stress calculated?

Hertzian stress can be calculated using the Hertz contact theory, which takes into account the material properties, geometry, and applied force of the objects in contact. It is a complex calculation that requires knowledge of advanced mathematics and engineering principles.

3. What are some real-life applications of Hertzian stress?

Hertzian stress is commonly seen in mechanical systems, such as bearings, gears, and ball joints. It is also important in understanding the wear and tear of materials in contact, such as in tire tread and brake pads.

4. Can Hertzian stress lead to failure?

Yes, Hertzian stress can lead to failure if the stress exceeds the material's strength. This can result in cracks, fractures, or deformation of the objects in contact.

5. How can Hertzian stress be reduced?

Hertzian stress can be reduced by using materials with higher strength or by increasing the contact area between the objects. Additionally, lubrication and proper design of the contact surfaces can also help to reduce Hertzian stress.