Hess' Law Calculation for Reaction A: \Delta H = 121 kJ | Reference Table Used

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, To determine the \Delta H value for reaction A, we used Hess' Law and the given equations for reactions B and C. By multiplying B by three and reversing it, we were able to get the final equation for A and calculate the change in enthalpy to be 121 kJ.
DB
I don't have the answer to this, and it's a big question so I'd like to know if I got it right. Thanks

Determine the [tex]\Delta H[/tex] value for reaction A:

A)[tex]3CH_4 \rightarrow C_3H_8 + 2H_2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H=?[/tex]

Okay so I was given a reference table and used these two equations for Hess' Law:

B)[tex]C+2H_2 \rightarrow CH_4[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H= -74.9[/tex]

C)[tex]3C+4H_2 \rightarrow C_3H_8[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H=-103.7[/tex]

So I knew I the sum of B and C would have to give me A, so in order for the values to cancel properly I had to multiply B by three:

B)[tex]3(C+2H_2 \rightarrow CH_4)[/tex]

[tex]3(\Delta H=-74.9)[/tex]

gives me:

B')[tex]3C+6H_2 \rightarrow 3CH_4[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H=-224.7[/tex]

Then, since propane is on the left side of equation A, I would have to reverse B':

[tex]3CH_4 \rightarrow 3C + 6H_2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H=+224.7[/tex]

Now I can add them:

[tex]3CH_4 +3C - 3C \rightarrow C_3H_8 + 6H_2 - 4H_2[/tex]

gives:

[tex]3CH_4 \rightarrow C_3H_8 + 2H_2[/tex]

which is equation A.

So now I must add the change in enthalpy:

[tex]\Delta H=+224.7+\Delta H=-103.7[/tex]

[tex]\Delta H=121 kJ[/tex] for reaction A

is that right?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it is.

thanks for all the help andrew

1. What is Hess' Law?

Hess' Law is a principle in chemistry that states that the overall enthalpy change of a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken from the initial to final state. This means that the total change in energy for a reaction is the same whether it occurs in one step or multiple steps.

2. How can Hess' Law be applied in chemical reactions?

Hess' Law can be applied to calculate the enthalpy change of a chemical reaction by using known enthalpy values of other reactions and manipulating them algebraically to obtain the desired reaction. This can be used to predict the energy changes of reactions that are difficult to measure experimentally.

3. What is the significance of Hess' Law in thermodynamics?

Hess' Law is an important tool in thermodynamics because it allows for the calculation of the enthalpy change of a reaction, which is a measure of the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This information is crucial in understanding the energy changes that take place in chemical reactions and how they affect the stability of substances.

4. How do you check if Hess' Law is valid for a given reaction?

The validity of Hess' Law can be checked by comparing the calculated enthalpy change of a reaction using different pathways with the experimentally measured value. If the values are within a reasonable margin of error, then Hess' Law is considered valid for that reaction.

5. Can Hess' Law be applied to all chemical reactions?

Yes, Hess' Law can be applied to all chemical reactions as long as the initial and final states are the same and the reactions involved are thermodynamically feasible. However, it is important to note that some reactions may have multiple pathways, and the choice of which pathway to use can affect the accuracy of the calculated enthalpy change.