Determining Heat of Formation of n-Butane

In summary, the standard heat of formation of n butane cannot be measured directly but can be determined indirectly by using Hess's Law and other heats of reaction. The correct chemical equation for the standard molar enthalpy of formation of propanol is 3CO2 + 4H2O ----> C3H8O + 9/2O2. However, the equation 3C + 8H + O2 ----> C3H8O can also be used but it is not balanced and does not use substances in standard state.
Nellen2222

Homework Statement

The standard heat of formation of n butane cannot be measured directly but can be determined indirectly from other heats of reaction by applying hess's law. Given the folowing data for the combustion of carbon hydrogen and n butane in oxygen:

C + O2---> CO2 H=-393.5
H2 + 1/2O2 --> H2O
C4H10 + 6.5O2 ---> 4CO2 + 5H2O

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried several times on scratch paper. The formation of butane is as so : 4C + 5H2-->C4H10

Ive tried the actual formation using CO2 + H2O --> C4H10 But i can't cancel the carbons

Sticking with my other normal equation 4C + 5H2 --> C4H10 (This is what I want, No?)

Tell me if my equation is wrong, cause it proabably is.

I tried multiplying the first step by 4, the second step by 5, and reversing the third step only to get everything to cancel except the oxygen. I get stuck with 6.5 oxygens on the left side and 9.5 Oxygens on the right. Dont know where to g ofrom there. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]4 \times 1 + 5 \times \frac 1 2 = 6.5[/tex]

elaborate...?

Here is another question: Write the chemical equation for the standard molar enthalpy of formation of proponol. c3h8O
Is this simply :: 3C + 8H + O2 ----> C3H8O ( I am pretty sure its this one.)

?

Or is it 3CO2 + 4H2O ----> C3H8O + 9/2O2

Thanks

Nellen2222 said:
elaborate...?

Where did you get 9.5 molecules of oxygen from?

Nellen2222 said:
Is this simply :: 3C + 8H + O2 ----> C3H8O ( I am pretty sure its this one.)

It is not balanced and it uses substances in non standard state. But it is much better than the other one.

1. What is the purpose of determining the heat of formation of n-Butane?

The purpose of determining the heat of formation of n-Butane is to measure the amount of energy released or absorbed during the formation of one mole of n-Butane from its constituent elements. This value is important in understanding the stability and chemical properties of n-Butane.

2. How is the heat of formation of n-Butane measured?

The heat of formation of n-Butane is typically measured using bomb calorimetry, where a known amount of n-Butane is combusted in a sealed container surrounded by water. The change in temperature of the water is then used to calculate the heat of reaction and, subsequently, the heat of formation.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the heat of formation of n-Butane?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the heat of formation of n-Butane include experimental errors, such as incomplete combustion or heat loss to the surroundings, as well as the purity of the n-Butane sample and the precision of the measuring equipment.

4. How does the heat of formation of n-Butane relate to its chemical properties?

The heat of formation of n-Butane is directly related to its chemical properties, as it is a measure of the stability of the molecule. A higher heat of formation indicates a more stable molecule, which can have implications for its reactivity and potential uses in various chemical reactions.

5. What other information can be determined from the heat of formation of n-Butane?

In addition to the heat of formation, the heat of combustion and heat of reaction for n-Butane can also be calculated using the heat of formation. These values are useful in understanding the energy changes involved in different reactions involving n-Butane, and can aid in predicting its behavior in various chemical processes.