1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hess' Law Help

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The standard heat of formation of n butane cannot be measured directly but can be determined indirectly from other heats of reaction by applying hess's law. Given the folowing data for the combustion of carbon hydrogen and n butane in oxygen:

C + O2---> CO2 H=-393.5
    H2 + 1/2O2 --> H2O
    C4H10 + 6.5O2 ---> 4CO2 + 5H2O

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried several times on scratch paper. The formation of butane is as so : 4C + 5H2-->C4H10

Ive tried the actual formation using CO2 + H2O --> C4H10 But i cant cancel the carbons

Sticking with my other normal equation 4C + 5H2 --> C4H10 (This is what I want, No?)

Tell me if my equation is wrong, cause it proabably is.

I tried multiplying the first step by 4, the second step by 5, and reversing the third step only to get everything to cancel except the oxygen. I get stuck with 6.5 oxygens on the left side and 9.5 Oxygens on the right. Dont know where to g ofrom there. Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

[tex]4 \times 1 + 5 \times \frac 1 2 = 6.5[/tex]

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    elaborate....?

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    Here is another question: Write the chemical equation for the standard molar enthalpy of formation of proponol. c3h8O
    Is this simply :: 3C + 8H + O2 ----> C3H8O ( Im pretty sure its this one.)

?

Or is it 3CO2 + 4H2O ----> C3H8O + 9/2O2

Thanks

6. Oct 19, 2012 #5

Borek

Where did you get 9.5 molecules of oxygen from?

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6

Borek

It is not balanced and it uses substances in non standard state. But it is much better than the other one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook