Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hetero and Homo clarification

Tags:
  1. May 10, 2016 #1
    I've just recently started relearning chemistry. Forgive me for asking such a basic question, but my textbook doesn't use very practical examples with a detailed explanation.

So a hetero and homo mixture can be classified as if there compositions (multiple substances) are blended or not. Let's say a trail mix is hetero mixture because all of the little chips and crackers do not blend (or form?) together. An example of a homo mixture is sugar and water (sugar dissolved in water) because they blended together.

Another small side question: Is it always possible to tell whether specific matter is homo or hetero just by looking at it, or do you need to know the compositions of the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, I really thought this thread was going to be about something else...

4. May 10, 2016 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"A heterogeneous mixture is made of different substances that remain physically separate. Heterogeneous mixtures always have more than one phase (regions with uniform composition and properties)"

I'd say that,
    in a homogenous mixture you can be sure that any number of samples will have the essentially same concentration of each substance,
    whereas
    in a heterogenous mixture you cannot be guaranteed that. Take enough samples and you will find a discrepancy in concentrations of the substances.

5. May 10, 2016 #4
    So basically, if you were to mix two substances and they would always reveal about the same amount of concentration of the substances.

6. May 10, 2016 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. That would make it homogenous.

7. May 10, 2016 #6
    OK, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted