1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hexadecimal conversion

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write all the possible decimal values (3 of them) of the 8-bit hexadecimal number 0xD1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I can write that D1 = D*161 + 1 * 160 = 13*16 + 1 = 209

Can I also say that the most significant bit is reserved for sign? In that case, I think the D would indicate a negative value (is that right? What's the cutoff for positive/negative signed values in hexadecimal?) Thus, I would have: - (1 * 160) = -1

The only other interpretation I can think of is to say that D1 is a complement, so I'd have to convert to binary and then convert to decimal. So:

D1 = 1101 0001, then I take all the places where the value is zero and add. Doing so gives: 2 + 4 + 8 + 32 = 46

I also have to add one to 46, I believe. So my answer is 47. Is that so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"most significant bit reserved for sign"? What, exactly, is the statement of the problem? "Most significant bit" would refer to a memory location in a computer but the question you ask, converting a hexadecimal number to decimal, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with computers.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the most significant bit is used for the sign, then looking at D in binary 1101, indicates that 0xD1 is the negative of 0x51 ...

I think there's another way to interpret this number for the negative case --- in which the representation sort of wraps around zero like a mod function. What do you need to add to 0xD1 to get 0x100 ? ... 47. That would make this -47.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook