Hexapod Leg Design: Optimizing a 3D Printed Femur Assembly

• Thread starter theycallmevirgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is discussing the design of a leg assembly for the Antdroid open source hexapod robot. The "femur" assembly connects the servos and is currently made up of two side plates connected by cylindrical struts. The speaker prefers to redesign it as one 3D printed unit to save time. They are considering different ways to design the strut, either as a solid between the servo mounts or conforming to the plate arc. They also question if they can remove some material to save weight without compromising strength. The speaker plans to use software to study stress reactions and asks for advice on what results would be considered reasonable. They mention using a cast strut arm as a reference and suggest a closed rectangular cross section
theycallmevirgo
The below is a leg assembly from the Antdroid open source hexapod robot (https://github.com/antdroid-hexapod/antdroid). The "femur" assembly connects the servos at S1 and S2. It is comprised of two side plates connected by cylindrical struts.

Being fundamentally lazy, I prefer to redesign this to be 3d printed as one unit. Obviously, the most likely way to cause destructive deformation is to rotate one end about central axis A_1 while holding the other end fixed. Strain along coplanar vertical axis is not in my opinion worth considering.

The question is, simply, how should I approach the design of the strut? Should I create a solid on a plane between the servo mounts, or should I create a solid that conforms to the plate arc? Either way, can I safely semove some part of the solid to save material? If so, at the center or at the edges?

If my explanations are unclear I will post images of alternatives later.

I have access to some decent software to study the stress reactions. I'm asking here so I can understand which results are "reasonable". Of course I will post outputs here.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    142.1 KB · Views: 97
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could copy the fundamental C shape of cast members of car's suspension struts.
Please, do a search for "cast strut arm"

If the printer could do it, a closed rectangular cross section would give the most torsional resistance about axis A1.
The core of that rectangle can be empty, as that material does not contribute to much resistance, saving some weight.

1. What is a hexapod leg design?

A hexapod leg design is a type of leg structure that is commonly used in robotics and other mechanical systems. It consists of six legs arranged in a symmetrical pattern, similar to that of an insect or spider.

2. Why is optimizing a 3D printed femur assembly important?

Optimizing a 3D printed femur assembly is important because it allows for the creation of a more efficient and effective leg structure. By optimizing the design, the leg can be made stronger, lighter, and more flexible, which can improve the overall performance of the hexapod.

3. What factors are considered when designing a hexapod leg?

When designing a hexapod leg, factors such as weight, strength, flexibility, and range of motion are all taken into consideration. Additionally, the design must also be able to withstand various types of terrain and environmental conditions.

4. How does 3D printing technology play a role in hexapod leg design?

3D printing technology allows for the creation of complex and intricate designs that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with traditional manufacturing methods. This makes it an ideal tool for creating optimized hexapod leg designs that are both lightweight and strong.

5. What are some potential applications for hexapod leg design?

Hexapod leg design has a wide range of potential applications, including in robotics, prosthetics, and even in space exploration. These leg structures are well-suited for navigating difficult terrain and can also be used to improve the mobility and agility of machines and devices.