1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey all, I really need help with this homework. Any help would be appreciated

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    Hey all, I really need help with this homework. Any help would be appreciated(FIXED)

Problem: Ball of mass m hangs on a string of length L straight down from a cart of mass
    M standing on horizontal rails. The cart can move along the rails without friction.
    While the cart is at rest, the ball is given a horizontal velocity v0, v0 < sqr(2gl) directed
    along the rails.

(a) What is velocity of the ball when it reaches
    its maximal elevation?
    (b) What is elevation h that the ball reaches
    above its original location?

First of all hello.
    I am new to this forum and don't really know your ways yet, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. This problem has tormented me for days. I did all the other homework problems for this week and this is the last one. If anyone would help me solve the problem I would be forever grateful.

m = mass of the ball
    M = mass of the cart
    v0 = velocity given to the ball
    V = velocity of the cart
    theta = angle between the starting position of the string and the maximal elevation of the string

Sorry for not giving any attempts, but I really don't know where to start on this one. All i have is:
    (1/2)m(v0)^2 = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh + (1/2)MV^2
    mv0 = mvcos(theta) + MV
    I also found center of mass, in respect to the position of the ball:
    (L - mL/(M + m) = CM

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello spartanpo. Welcome to PF !

You have some typos.

I am unable to make sense of your question.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, our ways are that you must show your attempts to solve the problem before we can help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook