Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey all I'm new!

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    Well although the thread topic speaks for itself I want to introduce myself here.

I created an account in this forum a while ago and I've been checking it a bit

So yes! I wanna participate but I know no one, I tried to find the topical section in which newbies introduce themselves but I couldn't find one so I'm posting right here.

I'm a physics student and well I'm ofcourse interested in forming part of your community!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2
    Hi new, nice to meet you :)

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to the forum. This is a friendly forum but not a social forum, so there is no area for introductions. People just jump in and ask a question, or answer someone else's question.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    :smile:--You have the same first name as my muse...
    Good to meet you Sappho.Poiesis,
    Mmmm....Poiesis...what do you make? Or is it just because of physics or is it poetry or all of them?
    Anyway, welcome to the fora!

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Fish?

7. Oct 3, 2013 #6
    Don't, seriously don't. Never reply when somebody asks about fish. Not in PF. Otherwise choose something really small, and whatever you do don't say Megadolon...
    Sorry borek, I really like that name...

8. Oct 3, 2013 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

Don't rush like that, dear Borek, we're not trying to frighten newbies here. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum sappho.poiesis! I assure you that you will enjoy your stay here. As part of our honourable welcoming ceremony, we request that new members provide us with their fish preference. So, please tell us, what is your favourite fish?

Edit: Don't listen to Enigman! Never listen to any advice in this regard (the fish), just follow your heart and see what your lucky fish might get you into. o:)

9. Oct 3, 2013 #8
  10. Oct 3, 2013 #9
    Hey thank you all I'll start looking at more posts so far I wanna participate in the science picture contest!

It's poiesis cuz I like to write poetry in my spare time!

11. Oct 3, 2013 #10
    Oh and since I'm vegetarian I don't have favorite fish :p

12. Oct 3, 2013 #11
    But aren't there any particular fish you like anyway - to look at? I'm just curious.

13. Oct 4, 2013 #12
    Nope, I really don't knoe much about fish... :$

14. Oct 4, 2013 #13

Evo

Sorry, but you can't be a member if you don't name a fish. It's part of the initiation ceremony.

15. Oct 4, 2013 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Which is the fish you most HATE, then? :devil:

16. Oct 4, 2013 #15

Borek

Triple refusal to name the fish results in a ban. It is not spelled out in the official rules, but it is in the Mentors quick guide, chapter 231, section 1542, paragraph 334 (probably easier to locate by going directly to page 654 in book 43).

17. Oct 4, 2013 #16

Ibix

Science Advisor

Is "no favourite fish" experimentally distinguishable from "all fish are my favourites"?

Just askin'.

18. Oct 4, 2013 #17
    Well problem is I know nothing about fish, NOTHING. Nor have I had them as pets or anything ... so it's complicated for me to nname any. I just like snakes and rabbits.

19. Oct 4, 2013 #18

Evo

I'm going to do something very special for you, I am going to give you my favorite fish, which just happens to be THE OFFICIAL FISH of PF!!!!

WHAM!!!!!!!! You have been fish slapped with a threadfin bream!

attachment.php?attachmentid=37518&d=1311617488.jpg

20. Oct 4, 2013 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must think we are so, so weird.

Well, you're right! This is part of our welcoming ritual :smile:. I want to make you feel welcome, so because you don't know about fish, I will help you here. I present two choices:

3516729307_707a564cfb_z.jpg

whale-shark-belize.jpg

Fish 1 or fish 2?

21. Oct 4, 2013 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lol. I nominate sappho.poiesis as our luckiest member :smile:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook