Solving Two Physics Questions for Kelly

• Thread starter kelly.yasmin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey
In summary, the first question asks for the average force applied by snow to stop a mass dropped from a height onto a field covered with snow. The second question asks whether three parallel hoses will move and how much, given different coefficients of friction. The solution for the first question involves finding the work done by the snow to stop the mass and relating it to the force applied, while the second question can be approached through kinematics or by considering the potential energy converted into work by the hoses.
kelly.yasmin
I have two questions and i have no clue how to solve them so please...

1. dropping a mass of M from some height H over a feid which is being covered with
a lot of snow. exentually the mass is in halt underneath the snow in deep D
the question is what is the average force that the snow is doing over the the mass during the process

2. two parallel hoses are sitting on the ground. there is a third one which is equal to those two and is putting above them.
the cofficient between the ground and the hoses is u1 and between hose 3 to the others
is u2. the question is wether the hoses will move and how

thank you very much. I am so lost...
Kelly

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly.yasmin said:
I have two questions and i have no clue how to solve them so please...

1. dropping a mass of M from some height H over a feid which is being covered with
a lot of snow. exentually the mass is in halt underneath the snow in deep D
the question is what is the average force that the snow is doing over the the mass during the process

2. two parallel hoses are sitting on the ground. there is a third one which is equal to those two and is putting above them.
the cofficient between the ground and the hoses is u1 and between hose 3 to the others
is u2. the question is wether the hoses will move and how

thank you very much. I am so lost...
Kelly

In the first problem, how much kinetic energy does the mass have when it reaches the snow? How much work, units of energy, must the snow do to stop the mass?

hey thanks for answering me.
I think i understand what you mean but therefore i would like to
ask is what is actually stopping the mass?
is it the friction (which i think that is countless here)
or is it something else? i was thinking maybe it can be the getting into the snow..
and still do i need calculate the time of all the process to get to the average force?
i really apreciate your help!
thank u very much

kelly.yasmin said:
hey thanks for answering me.
I think i understand what you mean but therefore i would like to
ask is what is actually stopping the mass?
is it the friction (which i think that is countless here)
or is it something else? i was thinking maybe it can be the getting into the snow..
and still do i need calculate the time of all the process to get to the average force?
i really apreciate your help!
thank u very much

Wait: have you learned work and energy yet? If not, you will have no idea about what I'm advising you to do.

Yes, you can solve this problem using kinematics by assuming a constant acceleration of gravity until it reaches the snow and a constant acceleration from snow until it stops. Then, you can relate the acceleration of snow solved for to the force causing it through Newton's first law.

Quicker, however, would be to say that all of the potential gravitational energy from being at a heigh H must be done by the snow by applying a constant force F over a distance D.

About your question, you don't need to become too attached to understanding how the snow is applying the force doing all of this - just assume it's a constant force and solve for it. The force probably comes mostly from compressing the snow and partly from friction.

, it's great that you are seeking help with these physics questions. Let's break them down one by one and work through them.

1. For the first question, we are dealing with the concept of work and energy. We know that when an object falls, it gains kinetic energy equal to its potential energy at the initial height. In this case, the mass M has a potential energy of Mgh (where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height). As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, in this scenario, the mass is also encountering resistance from the snow, which is doing work on the mass as it falls. Therefore, we can use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by the snow is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the mass. So, we can calculate the average force exerted by the snow by dividing the work done by the snow by the distance the mass has fallen. This will give us the average force exerted by the snow on the mass during the process.

2. For the second question, we are dealing with the concept of friction. The coefficient of friction, u, is a measure of how much resistance there is between two surfaces in contact. In this scenario, we have three hoses in contact with each other and the ground. The question is asking whether the hoses will move and how they will move. This will depend on the coefficients of friction between the different surfaces. If u1 and u2 are both greater than 0, then the hoses will not move because there is enough friction between them and the ground to keep them in place. However, if either u1 or u2 is equal to 0, then the hoses will move. If u1 is equal to 0, then the hoses will slide away from each other. If u2 is equal to 0, then the third hose will slide off the other two. If both u1 and u2 are equal to 0, then all three hoses will move in different directions. To determine the exact motion, we would need more information about the angles and positions of the hoses.

I hope this helps you understand and solve these questions. Remember to always approach physics problems by breaking them down into smaller concepts and using the appropriate equations and principles. Best of luck!

1. How do you approach solving physics problems?

The first step in solving physics problems is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Next, draw a diagram or visual representation of the problem, if applicable. Then, use the relevant equations and principles from your knowledge of physics to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer and make sure it is reasonable.

2. What is the importance of units in solving physics problems?

Units are crucial in solving physics problems because they provide context and meaning to the numerical values. It is important to keep track of the units throughout the problem and make sure they are consistent. Units also help with dimensional analysis and can provide a way to check if your answer is correct.

3. How do you deal with complicated physics problems?

When faced with a complicated physics problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the different components and determine how they are related. It may also be helpful to make assumptions or simplifications in order to solve the problem. And don't forget to double-check your work and make sure it makes sense.

4. How do you handle mistakes or errors in physics problem-solving?

Mistakes and errors are a natural part of problem-solving, and it is important to learn from them. If you make a mistake, go back and check your work step by step to see where you may have gone wrong. It is also helpful to have a peer or teacher review your work and provide feedback. Remember to always double-check your calculations and units to catch any errors.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is through practice. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with different concepts and equations. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Working with a study group or seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.