What sparked my interest in physics and math as a high school student?

• Thread starter ejflrs
  • Start date
ejflrs
I'm just a junior in high school who's pretty fond of physics and math.

It started with astronomy, but I picked up a book on Relativity, and I just thought how amazing it would to be a part of this whole physics community.

Not here for homework or anything--I just want to learn. Hope you all are doing well!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

There are some fine Relativity books available online.

One in particular is written by Ben Crowell and is available for free at his website:

www.lightandmatter.com/

Likes ejflrs
Thanks! Pretty interesting stuff there.

Welcome ejflrs! Great that you want to learn, great to have that motivation on your age!

Nice that you are interested in astronomy/cosmology, I love those topics as well! Do you watch Crash Course Astronomy on YouTube? It's a great introduction to the topics, hosted by Phil Plait. It has more than forty ten minute videos on topics ranging from the planets to dark matter and they are still being made. Another channel that is a bit more technical is PBS Space Time.

I don't think I've watched those before, thanks! Since I have all this free time this winter break I guess I can spend much time on those videos lol.

Another subject that I've recently got into is just theoretical physics.
Hopefully spending time on this forum will not only help me get the gist of it all, but also learn some of the mathematics behind some topics.

I hope you'll enjoy the content ejflrs! I looked to my subscriptions list and found some other channels that are great as well (related to cosmology/astronomy):
- SciShow Space
- Amy Shira Teitel
- TheBadAstronomer

Theoretical physics is very interesting as well; I have watched almost every documentary available on that topic and a lot of lectures; I enjoyed them all but over time I started feeling like I was done with the baby food and ready to get something to chew on - I mean I would love to start learning the math. Feel free to let me know if you find something interesting!

Thanks! I'll add those channels to my list.

I haven't gone that deep into theoretical physics yet but Michio Kaku introduced me to string theory, and currently I'm reading a book called the Age of Entanglement--it is, of course, about entanglement but it also explains how many physicists (like Bohr or Einstein) developed their many of their early theories...but yeah, I'll be sure to share whatever else I find!

Hi. I'm new I and I already love the topics of discussions here.

1. What made you choose physics and math as your main focus in high school?

As a high school student, I was always fascinated by the natural world and how everything around us can be explained through mathematical equations. Physics and math provided the perfect combination of theoretical concepts and practical applications that sparked my curiosity and passion for these subjects.

2. Did you have any specific experiences or teachers that influenced your interest in physics and math?

Yes, I had a few exceptional teachers who made these subjects come to life and showed me the real-world applications of physics and math. Additionally, I had the opportunity to participate in science fairs and competitions, which allowed me to explore different topics and conduct experiments that further sparked my interest.

3. How did you balance your interest in physics and math with other subjects and extracurricular activities?

Balancing my interests in physics and math with other subjects and extracurricular activities was definitely a challenge. However, I found that by managing my time effectively and prioritizing my studies, I was able to excel in all areas. I also made sure to take breaks and engage in other activities to maintain a healthy balance.

4. What advice would you give to high school students who are interested in pursuing a career in physics or math?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and to always seek out opportunities to learn more about these subjects. It's also important to develop strong problem-solving skills and to constantly challenge yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out to teachers, mentors, or professionals in the field for guidance and advice.

5. How do you continue to stay motivated and passionate about physics and math as a scientist?

As a scientist, I am constantly learning and discovering new things in the field of physics and math. This constant pursuit of knowledge and the potential to make groundbreaking discoveries is what keeps me motivated and passionate. Additionally, I surround myself with like-minded individuals and stay updated on the latest research and advancements in these fields.