Swapping General Physics 1 for Intro to C++: Advice?

• Thread starter Metta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey
In summary, the conversation discussed swapping classes and seeking advice on whether to take a trig/algebra based General Physics 1 course or an Intro to C++ course. The person originally planned to take the physics course to gain exposure before taking a Classical Mechanics course, but now feels that the programming course is more important. It was mentioned that taking a calculus-based mechanics course without prior exposure to physics is acceptable, and it is suggested to check the school's prerequisites. It was also mentioned that the trig/algebra based physics course may still be beneficial, but the person is more interested in the programming class.
Metta
So I was thinking of swapping the following classes together, and I would appreciate an input from your guys first.

I want to swap General physics 1(trig/Algebra based)
to
Intro to C++

and the reason being that I will be taking my classical mechanics course next semester anyway, so why waste a semester on topics that I will see next semester again? Originally I registered for the class because I wanted some exposure to physics before taking a mechanics course since I have never taken one, but now I am thinking the programming course is more important. What would you guys advise me to do?

Also, it isn't too ugly to take a calc based mechanics course without prior exposure to physics ever, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If "Classical Mechanics" = 1st semester lower-division calculus-based physics course, then no, you don't have to take the algebra-based General Physics 1 first. In most cases, the prerequisite or corequisite for "Classical Mechanics" is Calculus 1. Check the course catalog.

As stated above, I'm going to assume that "Classical Mechanics" means the first University Physics course. A formal Classical Mechanics course would come after the university physics sequence.

Check your schools prerequisites. Some schools may require a semester of algebra/trig based physics before the university physics sequence. My school is one example of that. Otherwise, then no, there really isn't too much of a point in taking it, since it will be the same material, simply with different math.

Metta said:
Also, it isn't too ugly to take a calc based mechanics course without prior exposure to physics ever, right?

No, it's not ugly at all. Unless, of course, the listed prerequisites include "previous exposure to physics" or something like that.

Ask advisers or the profs at your school if you can. They'll know the course content better than anyone here and can tell you for sure whether you'll be missing anything important by dropping that class.

Thanks for the responses guys. For those of you who are wondering, no my school doesn't require the trig/algebra physics as a prereq for the mechanics one. I was just doing it because I thought it would help but I am more into the programming class now.

Metta said:
Thanks for the responses guys. For those of you who are wondering, no my school doesn't require the trig/algebra physics as a prereq for the mechanics one. I was just doing it because I thought it would help but I am more into the programming class now.

It certainly wouldn't "hurt." It still exposes you to some of the problem solving involved in physics, and introduces you to some of the main parts of physics. However, you're probably right that you'd be better off taking the programming class.

I wish I didn't have to take it. But, my school requires a semester of algebra/trig physics as a prereq for the calc based physics.

1. What is the difference between General Physics 1 and Intro to C++?

General Physics 1 is a course that covers the fundamental principles and laws of physics, while Intro to C++ is a course that teaches the basics of computer programming using the C++ language. They are two completely different subjects, with different learning objectives.

2. Can I use my knowledge of physics in learning C++?

Yes, you can use your knowledge of physics in learning C++, as both subjects require logical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, some applications in physics, such as data analysis, use programming languages like C++.

3. Which course is more challenging?

This depends on your personal strengths and interests. Some students may find General Physics 1 more challenging due to the complex mathematical concepts, while others may struggle with the logic and syntax of C++. It's important to choose a course that aligns with your strengths and goals.

4. Will taking Intro to C++ instead of General Physics 1 affect my future studies in physics?

It depends on your specific academic goals and the requirements of your degree program. If you plan to pursue a career in physics, it may be more beneficial to take General Physics 1. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in computer science or engineering, taking Intro to C++ may be more relevant.

5. Can I take both courses at the same time?

This may be possible, but it ultimately depends on your academic workload and schedule. Taking both courses simultaneously may be challenging, so it's important to consider your time management skills and workload before making a decision.