What are some helpful resources for a first-year physics student?

• Thread starter hibphys
  • Start date
In summary, some recommended textbooks for first-year physics students include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. There are also many online resources such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics that can supplement learning. Study guides and practice problems are available in textbooks and online. To find a tutor or study group, you can ask your professor or check with your school's tutoring center or student organizations. Physics simulation software and apps, such as PhET Interactive Simulations, Physics Toolbox Suite, and Physics 101 SE, can also aid in understanding concepts.
hibphys
Hey i found this forum while looking up some homework, seems like it might be useful. I hope i will learn a lot cause I really don't get phys right now. I am at grade 13 basically just before university.

Likes Robby White
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

thanks very much, so i have this home work that i don't understand and i really need help what do i do now?

hibphys said:
thanks very much, so i have this home work that i don't understand and i really need help what do i do now?
helllo?

hibphys said:

Post it in the appropriate homework subforum. You'll find them at the top of the main page. Remember to use the template and to show your work!

hibphys said:
helllo?

This is an online forum, not a real-time chat. Give people some time to reply.

Welcome, I am new to the forums as well. I am a first year physics student myself. :)

1. What are some recommended textbooks for first-year physics students?

Some popular textbooks for first-year physics students include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

2. Are there any online resources that can supplement my learning as a first-year physics student?

Yes, there are many online resources that can be helpful for first-year physics students. Some options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

3. Are there any study guides or practice problems available for first-year physics students?

Yes, many textbooks have accompanying study guides and practice problems. Additionally, there are many online resources that offer practice problems and quizzes for first-year physics students.

4. How can I find a tutor or study group for first-year physics?

You can ask your professor or teaching assistant for recommendations on finding a tutor or study group. You can also check with your school's tutoring center or student organizations related to physics.

5. Are there any physics simulation software or apps that can help with understanding concepts?

Yes, there are many physics simulation software and apps available that can help with understanding concepts. Some popular options include PhET Interactive Simulations, Physics Toolbox Suite, and Physics 101 SE.