Deriving Wave Function: Confused about (ix/a) & (-x^2/2a)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the time-independent wave function and the confusion surrounding the variables ##(ix/a)## and ##(-x^2/2a)## in the answer. The solution is found by changing variables to ##k' = k-k_0## and completing the square. The link provided suggests that this is just a Fourier transform of a Gaussian.
sus1234
Homework Statement
Trying to understand how the time independent wavefunction is derived from this
Relevant Equations
?
1644783404516.png

It is asking to derive the time-independent wave function and has managed to get the answer of
1644783451034.png

and i am very confused as where (ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) came from ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer's wrong.

First, change variables to ##k' = k-k_0##, and then complete the square.

vela said:
The answer's wrong.

First, change variables to ##k' = k-k_0##, and then complete the square.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I'm not sure where I'm meant to sub in k' = k-k0, could you provide more guidance ?

thanks

sus1234 said:
Thank you for your reply, I'm not sure where I'm meant to sub in k' = k-k0, could you provide more guidance ?
You've never changed the variable of integration?

1. What is the purpose of deriving the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's quantum state, which contains information about its position, momentum, and energy. Deriving the wave function allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.

2. What is the significance of (ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) in the wave function derivation?

(ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) are known as the momentum and kinetic energy operators, respectively. They are crucial components in the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. These operators help us calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time.

3. Why is there confusion surrounding (ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) in the wave function derivation?

These operators can be challenging to understand because they involve complex numbers and mathematical operations that are not typically encountered in classical physics. Additionally, the use of the letter "i" to represent the imaginary unit can be confusing for those not familiar with complex numbers.

4. How can I better understand (ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) in the context of the wave function derivation?

One way to better understand these operators is to study the principles of quantum mechanics and their applications in various systems. Additionally, practicing with mathematical examples and solving problems involving these operators can help improve understanding.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding (ix/a) and (-x^2/2a) in the wave function derivation?

Yes, there are many resources available, including textbooks, online lectures, and tutorials, that can aid in understanding these operators and their role in the wave function derivation. It may also be helpful to consult with a professor or mentor who has expertise in this area.