Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey, Pluto has a new moon!

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
  4. Jul 28, 2011 #3

Drakkith

Yep!

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

Disconnected

Gold Member

That's pretty cool. With all the photos of distant nebulas and galaxies, I think it is rad that something new, even if it's just a moon, can be discovered so (relatively) close. I kinda assumed there wasn't really anything left to discover in our solar system.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Nah, there have been thousands of asteroids, dozens of comets, and several dwarf planets discovered in the last decade or two. Most of these objects have eluded us so long because they are so small and dark.

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

Disconnected

Gold Member

Yeah, it kinda blew my mind when I found out about the dwarf planets and such (like 8 months ago). Excuse the naive post, I'm kinda out of my field here. I felt a little silly about posting this, then going on to read the threads about the trojan asteroid etc. It's all cool stuff, make me wish I had taken some astro classes.

8. Jul 29, 2011 #7

Drakkith

Wikipedia is my friend lol. As are random books from Books-a-Million. I've never taken a college physics, astronomy, or other science class and I think I have a good understanding of science in general.

9. Jul 30, 2011 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey neat, another moon to go along with Charon!

... follows link ...

Wait a minute, there are already two other moons?!?!?!

10. Jul 30, 2011 #9

Disconnected

Gold Member

I foresee a long session of wiki surfing in my very near future...

Strong work. You definitely seem to have an excellent understanding.

Yerp, my thoughts exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook