Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HFSS questions (missed eigenmodes, visualization)

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I am new to Ansoft HFSS, and there are a couple of issues I cannot resolve. I've simulated a box shaped cavity (22 x 12 x 10 mm) with PerfE boundary condition using Eigenmode solver.

1. I've looked for the first 10 mode. However when comparing with the exact frequencies it turned out that actually a lot of modes are missing from the solution, including the lowest possible mode.

2. How can I visualize the field distribution in the different modes? In HFSS -> Field -> Plot Fields I cannot choose which mode to plot.

3. I also tried to get the eigenfrequencies with a different strategy. I've set two faces of the box as waveport and made a frequency scan in Driven mode, looking for peaks in abs( S_{1,1}) vs. frequency plot. However I can get only one frequency. Interestingly this frequeny is not found by the eigensolver.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted