How Can I Begin Studying Physics as a Newcomer?

In summary, to start studying physics, you should pick a book and start working through it. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically linear algebra and calculus. Some suggested resources include getting a fun book and a math book suitable for your level, asking your math or physics teacher for guidance, or using online resources such as Khan Academy. It is also important to not make assumptions about people's gender and to ask specific and well-thought-out questions.
ahmed habala
hi all how can i start to study physics ?
please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a book and start working through it.

Likes Formula
micromass said:
Get a book and start working through it.
what's the name of book ?
please

Last edited by a moderator:
ahmed habala said:
what's the name of book ?
please

Any book you want to study. Pick one that will suit you the best and study it.

Likes ahmed habala
thanks very much

Hi Ahmed,

You might get more helpful suggestions if you offer a little more information. What level are you at right now? High school? University? A complete beginner who's read some popular science books and wants to learn more?

One of the most common suggestions on a place to start is to begin by building a strong foundation in mathematics: specifically with linear algebra and calculus. This will give you a sharp set of tools to work with as you start to work your way through an introductory physics class. I'm sure others around here can offer you some specific book recommendations, but they need to know what level you're at and comfortable with right now.

Hi Choppy I'm in high school
but i don't know anything about linear algebra and calculus .
please guide me how i can start if you can ?
thank you Choppy

This is a very weird post, potentially trolling.

You start studying physics by starting it. How do you start playing a game? Well, you get the game and you play it.

In this case, you pick a book, and you read it.

Likes ahmed habala
mohinder said:

You start studying physics by starting it. How do you start playing a game? Well, you get the game and you play it.

thanks sir

ahmed habala said:
thanks sir

A friendly advice: don't assume that everyone who answers you here is a male. Unless you know for sure, do not be gender-specific in your replies.

Zz.

Likes e.bar.goum
mohinder said:

No, this is more like trolling.

Very common for children from non-western countries(assumption) to discover science or physics, possibly partially through the internet, they feel people around them don't know a lot about it, and ask online.

They still have to learn how to ask the right questions. Doesn't mean they are trolls. You don't know what a troll is.

There is no right answer.

Some answers are:

Ask your math or physics teacher. If you don't have one, what does it take to get one?

Get a fun book(like popular science or cosmology, etc) and get a math book suitable to your level (algebra, pre-calc, calc, we can't tell).
Work on both. Doing only hard math is going to get boring at some point. Reading only fun stuff without math doesn't help you learn anything.

You can download a lot of books online and learn from them if you can't buy or find any at your local library. Probably illegal in some countries, but not immoral for a teenager who doesn't have access to it through proper channels.
I am not familiar with the common texts written in English so even if I know your level, I don't know what to recommend. We need the people knowledgeable on that to become a bit more helpful.That said, this question has been asked many times before. Below the last post you can find titles of similar threads/questions/similar discussions.

Likes mohinder
ZapperZ said:
A friendly advice: don't assume that everyone who answers you here is a male. Unless you know for sure, do not be gender-specific in your replies.

Zz.
Hi
i'm sorry if i make a mistake because i use English as a second language and i am not very good in it

Try Kahn academy (online). I found their physics playlist very interesting.

Likes ahmed habala
Isaac0427 said:
Try Kahn academy (online). I found their physics playlist very interesting.
thank you very much

1. What are the basic concepts of physics that I should start with?

Some of the fundamental concepts of physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. It is important to have a strong understanding of these concepts before delving into more complex topics.

2. Do I need a strong math background to study physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for studying physics. Concepts like calculus, algebra, and trigonometry are used extensively in physics, so it is important to have a good grasp of these subjects.

3. What are some good resources for studying physics?

There are many resources available for studying physics, such as textbooks, online lectures, and educational websites. It is also helpful to join study groups or attend tutoring sessions to get additional support and practice.

4. How can I apply what I learn in physics to real-life situations?

Physics is the study of the natural world, so many of the concepts and theories you learn can be applied to real-life situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help you understand how objects move in everyday scenarios.

5. What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

Some common misconceptions about studying physics include the belief that it is only for geniuses or that it is all about complex mathematical equations. In reality, anyone can learn and excel in physics with dedication and hard work, and while there are mathematical aspects, there are also many conceptual and practical applications of physics.