Calculating Solar Panel Power Output: Shortfall by Factor of 1000

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the shortfall in power generation for a solar panel that produces 73 mW cm-2 when used indoors. The person is trying to use a factor of 1000 to calculate the decrease in power, but it is suggested to use 0.999 instead. The exact meaning of "a factor of 1000" is unclear, but it is likely referring to a decrease of 1/1000.
Tevion
Im trying to get to grips with factors? and want to check my methodology, so:

It all about solar panels..I've calculated how much power the cell will produced @ AM1.5 this is 73 mW cm-2 .

Now my question is, i have to calculate the short fall by a factor of 1000 due when its used indoors for example. So am i right saying:

73 mW cm^-2
/ 1000

= 7.3^-3 mW cm^-2

- 73 mW cm^-2

= 65.7 mW cm^-2 (is this the shortfall answer)

Any help would be appreciated. and if you have any subsequent Q's, il try and answer them

Physics news on Phys.org
i can't believe nobody can help!

Welcome to PF!

Hi Tevion! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If by shortfall you mean a decrease of 1/10, or 0.1, it's probably easier, instead of multiplying by that factor and then subtracting, to multiply by (1 - the factor), in this case (1 - 0.1), = 0.9.

So, having worked out the factor, just say:

73 mW cm-2 x 0.9 = 65.7 mW cm-2.​

Or if you mean a decrease of 1/1000, or .001, it's

73 mW cm-2 x 0.999 = 72.927 mW cm-2. :smile:

So can you clarify how to deduce

7.3^-3 mW cm^-2

by a factor of 1000.

Thanks Tim

Hi Tevion! :smile:

I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

Do you mean reducing it by one part in 1000, or to one part in 1000?

You were orignally talking about the efficicency of solar panels indoors, and a reduction of 1/1000 seems far too small, while a reduction to 1/1000 seems far too large. :confused:

Anyway, starting with 7.3, a reduction by 1/1000 would be 7.2927 (or 7.29 approx), while a reduction to 1/1000 would be .0073. :smile:

What is it about factors that's worrying you? :smile:

Hi Tevion! :smile:

Thanks for the PM.
Tevion said:
"When used indoors, the avaiable power (73 mW cm-2 .) from a solarcell maybe reduced by a factor of 1000. Calculate the shortfall in power generation needed for the calculator if the power output of the solar panel is reduced by this amount."

What do you make of that?

Well, it seems a slightly strange way of putting it (I would say "a factor of 1/1000", not "a factor of 1000" :frown: ) … but I'd say they mean 0.999 x 73. :smile:

I still don't quite understand it, how did you arrive @ the 0.999?

Im about to send you a PM :)

Tevion said:
I still don't quite understand it, how did you arrive @ the 0.999

1 - 1/1000. :smile:

(oh please don't send me PMs … I never answer them! :smile:)

1. What is the reason for the shortfall in solar panel power output by a factor of 1000?

The main reason for this large shortfall is due to the fact that solar panels are limited by the amount of sunlight that they can convert into electricity. This means that even in ideal conditions, solar panels can only convert about 20% of the sunlight they receive into electricity. Additionally, factors such as weather, shading, and the angle of the panels can also decrease their efficiency.

2. Can this shortfall be overcome?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the shortfall, there are a few ways to improve the power output of solar panels. These include using more efficient solar panels, optimizing the placement and angle of the panels, and using solar tracking systems that follow the sun's movement throughout the day.

3. How is solar panel power output calculated?

Solar panel power output is calculated by multiplying the panel's efficiency (typically around 20%) by its rated power output. This rated power output is usually listed in watts on the panel's specifications.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of solar panels?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of solar panels, including the amount of sunlight they receive, the temperature, the angle and placement of the panels, and the quality and condition of the panels themselves.

5. Is there a way to accurately predict solar panel power output?

While it is difficult to predict the exact power output of solar panels due to varying environmental conditions, there are tools and software available that can provide estimates based on factors such as location, panel type, and angle. However, it is important to keep in mind that these are just estimates and the actual power output may vary.