Exploring My Passion for STEM: A College Student's Journey

• Thread starter justoncloud9
  • Start date
justoncloud9
Hey everyone! I'm a college student and currently my major is undecided, however I have a great interest in mathematics and the sciences. Out of the STEM courses I am currently only taking an introductory Biology course, but plan to take more science and mathematics courses in the near future to see if I have both the talent and passion to pursue a STEM major. Besides that I've always had an insatiable curiosity and it's great to join a forum filled with knowledgeable people that I can learn a lot from!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

Nice avatar.

Thanks Cruz. Maradona is one of my favorite players. He's definitely a bit crazy but on the pitch he was a genius.

He's kinda crazy indeed!

Do you have a favorite soccer team?
What is your favorite area of science?

My favorite team is Athletico de Madrid and I'm still bitter at Sergio Ramos. If I had to pick a favorite area of science it would probably be physics.

justoncloud9 said:
My favorite team is Athletico de Madrid and I'm still bitter at Sergio Ramos.

I would be too, I watched that game. I actually was rooting for Atlético that time.

1. What inspired you to pursue STEM in college?

I have always been fascinated by how the world works and have had a strong curiosity for science and technology from a young age. As I grew older, I realized that pursuing a career in STEM would allow me to not only satisfy my curiosity but also make a positive impact on society through innovation and problem-solving.

2. How did you discover your passion for STEM?

In high school, I took a variety of science and math courses and found myself genuinely interested and engaged in the subject matter. I also participated in extracurricular activities such as robotics and coding clubs, which further sparked my interest in STEM fields. Additionally, I had the opportunity to attend STEM-related workshops and conferences, which solidified my passion for the field.

3. What challenges did you face while pursuing STEM in college?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was the rigorous coursework and the pressure to maintain good grades. STEM subjects can be challenging, and it requires a lot of dedication and hard work to excel. I also faced imposter syndrome at times, feeling like I didn't belong or wasn't good enough in a male-dominated field. However, I overcame these challenges by seeking support from peers and professors and reminding myself of my passion and goals.

4. How did you balance your academic workload with extracurricular activities and personal life?

Balancing my academic workload with extracurricular activities and personal life was definitely a challenge. However, I found that time management and prioritization were key. I created a schedule for myself, setting aside specific times for studying, attending classes, and participating in extracurriculars. I also made sure to take breaks and make time for self-care and personal activities to avoid burnout.

5. What advice do you have for students interested in pursuing STEM in college?

My advice would be to explore different STEM fields and find what truly interests you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from professors and professionals in the field. Also, don't be discouraged by challenges and setbacks. Instead, use them as learning opportunities and keep pushing towards your goals. Lastly, remember to have a good work-life balance and take care of your mental and physical well-being.