Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi everyone

1. Jul 1, 2004 #1
    I'm new here so i just thought I'd say hi. It's a bit scary 'cos you all seem to be from America and I'm a Brit born and bred. :biggrin:
    I'm sure you are all very nice people though!

Luv vix :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2004 #2
    Don't be afraid - Americans are just British light :wink: Or is it the other way around?

4. Jul 1, 2004 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I think you mean Americans are Brits without the funny accent.

5. Jul 1, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think both the americans and the brits have a funny accent :biggrin:

6. Jul 1, 2004 #5
    Hey, we don't have a funny accent! :grumpy:
    Well I don't, I've got a yorkshire accent, It's the Londoners that talk funny. One of my mates is a Londoner and I always take the mick out of his accent! :biggrin:

7. Jul 1, 2004 #6
    Well, welcome to PF Vix43 :)

Don't be afraid cause Brits and Anericans are like brothers and sisters !

Enjoy the forum !

8. Jul 1, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Welcome vix43! Actually, you will find a lot of Brits here. Jimmy p & Andy are two of my favorites. :approve:

9. Jul 1, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Hey hey!!! Yeah I'm a Brit!!! w00t!!! I think the Yorkshire accent is pretty funny... no offence :tongue2:

Welcome aboard!

Jimmy :smile:

10. Jul 2, 2004 #9
    Thanks everyone! :wink:

I'm sure I will enjoy it here, you seem like nice peeps :wink:
    Eee by gum! <------- Just for you, Jimmy P! :biggrin:

11. Jul 2, 2004 #10
    I know how you feel. I'm Canadian and constantly fear chastisement from the board. :tongue2:

12. Jul 2, 2004 #11
    Hey, I prefer to be refered to as English, dont like associateing with the welsh, lol. I am from the New Forest so when i talk i sound much like a farmer and dont sound my H's. lol.

ope you enjoy your time here.

Oh and thanks Evo, your my favourite on the forum. :biggrin:

13. Jul 2, 2004 #12

Njorl

Science Advisor

Welcome,

I think I don't know if I'd recognize a Yorkshire accent. Is it like a Lancashire accent? I think I can recognize Cornwall, Cockney, Liverpool, Lancashire. I made one trip to England years ago. I'm glad I watched all that English TV, or I wouldn't have understood anyone. Thank God for Monty Python.

Njorl

14. Jul 2, 2004 #13
    Yeah, I suppose it is a bit like the lancashire accent, but a bit less exagerated. I take it you watched Coronation Street then to get a taste of the Lancashire accent! :biggrin:

15. Jul 2, 2004 #14
    Welcome vix43. I believe that Andy has a point. We want to be called English people. Sharing a name with the Welsh is not a good experience. Trust me on that. Haven't been here long myself so I am not a favourite or even a good friend but Jimmyp is quality.

Wow. Yorkshire. What part? My mother comes from Yorkshire. I am northern bred but not born or lived. Never mind. I have my accent.

Welcome again.

The Bob (2004 ©)

16. Jul 2, 2004 #15
    Thanks Bob :smile:

Yeah, Andy does have a point. I like to be called English too and not be associated with the irish,lol! (bad experience with an Irish person :biggrin: )

I'm from the East Coast. Bridlington infact. Oh, and brilliant seaside resort so come and have your holidays here! (sorry, just thought i'd big it up while I can! :wink: )

So what part is your mother from?

Vix

17. Jul 2, 2004 #16
    Going to the North. Intresting. Not done it for a while.

My mother is from Swinton, South Yorkshire. Must say that because she doesn't like it when people think it is Swinton in Manchester or the other place. LOL

Ok what about the Scottish? Any bad experiences? Must have one pr it is not complete. :wink:

The Bob (2004 ©)

18. Jul 2, 2004 #17
    Och noooooooooo! Not the scottish! I can't understand a word they say! I can't stand Lorraine kelly either and to make things worse, she is going to present 'This Morning' with Phillip Schofield every Monday and Friday starting in the Autumn! :grumpy: Nooooooooo! :mad: It's a shame 'cos fern Britton is really good with Phil. It's a shame she has to cut down the days.

Sorry, had a bit of a rant there :biggrin:

19. Jul 2, 2004 #18
    No problem. I like to hear it. So we only like the english from Great Britain? Quality. Anyway hope you are learning from these great people in the forums. They are fab. Watch out for the normal lot (i.e. Jimmyp, Andy, Njorl, Gokul, Monquie, Evo, Tsunami, Ivan Seeking etc. (<---- Some of my favourite people)). Yer and you may get things named after you. I got a skunk named after me. Quality or what? :biggrin: Loving these forums. You will too.

The Bob (2004 ©)

20. Jul 3, 2004 #19
    Cheers Bob :wink:

ooh, I can't really imagine a skunk called vix43?! :biggrin:

C you around then

vix :wink:

21. Jul 3, 2004 #20
    'Black Vix'? Might be good :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?