Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi Guys. I am a Reverend

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    Hi guys

I am a Reverend and would like to know more about the Big Bang theory and see how it differs or agrees with the Bible.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Please be aware that this site focuses on helping students understand mainstream science. We don't dwell on comparative discussions that venture into philosophy or religion nor do we discuss speculative science and personal theories.

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to the forum. I don't mean to discourage you from being here since this is a really great forum for science but we don't discuss religion, just science. There are probably forums out there where science and religion can be intermixed.

Since, presumably, you know the bible yourself what I would suggest is that you learn about the big bang theory on its own, with no discussion of religion, and do your own comparison. There are a TON of threads on this forum about the BBT but I'd suggest just reading the fundamentals on Wikipedia and then ask specific questions here (but only about the science, not about how they relate to religion).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  5. Jan 19, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Depends on your interpretation of the Bible. The catholic church claims there are no contradictions between Bible and science (including big bang and evolution). Other people seem to say the complete opposite. I'm glad you decided to form your own opinion and decided not to go by what anybody else tells you.

The problem with your query is that it is really difficult to understand the Big Bang theory completely and accurately. Sure, you can read popular articles, but those are almost always misleading and contain multiple falsehoods. For example, you have the statement that the universe "exploded" from a infinitesimal dot. This is totally false and is not what the big bang theory states.

To really understand the big bang theory (and thus: to really be able to form an honest opinion on the matter), you will need years of studying. You will need to understand the physics, the mathematics, and also the philosophy of scientific research. Take into account that the question about the origin of the universe has interested many bright people, and that the big bang theory was first proposed by a christian priest like you. This should tell you that the answer is not an easy one.

If you would like to make an honest study of the scientific theories underlying the big bang theory, then you're of course welcome to. If you state your current science and math knowledge, we can give a list on what things you could read up to. But expect that it will not be easy at all.

I think the first thing to do is to read up on the philosophy of science. That is: how does science get its answers? This is crucial. Basically, science gets its answers by repeated experimentation. The first thing to do is to make a very clear and testable theory. Then we do the experiments and we draw our conclusions. We do it in a way that every reasonable person should agree with the experiments and the conclusions. A very stupid example: if I drop my pen 100 times and it falls to the ground every time, then it is reasonable to say that it will always fall to the ground. Is it absolutely certain? No, of course not. But this is very important: science does not deal with absolute certainties. Every "truth" in science is conditional and can be overturned with more research. Of course, the newer theories should explain why the old theories were not so accurate.

I recommend these videos to get an accurate idea of how science is done:

I look forward to your posts! But please be aware that religious discussions are not welcome here. That is not to say that we are all atheists here, on the contrary, we have quite some religious people of varying background. We simply want to focus on the science here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. Jan 25, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see the Rev hasn't come back. Do you think it was something we said?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook