Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi guys (identify this formula)

1. Jan 27, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum, just saying hi and am curious about something.

Although I done physics at school I haven't dabbled for a number of years now...Anyway, some friends and I were having a dicussion on various topics until physics popped up (2 of them are rather heavy into it). They wrote an equation down and asked if I new what it was...PV=C(1+i)n

I know I've seen it before but can't for the life of me remember it...Can anyone please help?

Physics has sortof peeked my interest again after 17 years so am curious as to what this equation is.

I know this is a maths forum but just thought you guys could help.

Thanks

Frizz

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2
    Um, why not ask in the General Physics forum?

4. Jan 27, 2006 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He's already asked the same question in about 4 forums and got an answer in one but he keeps on posting the question! Here's a clue for Frizz: Post a question only once and be responsible enough to check back. :)

5. Jan 28, 2006 #4
    The only reason I posted it twice...not four times, was because the answer I got in the other forum wasn't sufficient...I've tried looking it up myself but cant find it anywhere.

Am getting very curious about it now & am wondering wheather me mates wrote it down right.

Thx anyway.

6. Jan 28, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It looks like a calculation for the present value in engineering economics.

7. Jan 28, 2006 #6
  8. Jan 28, 2006 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only thing it has in common with the Ideal gas law is the term PV, put this could just as well be Present Value. When you consider the RHS, Present Value seems a much more likely choice.

9. Jan 31, 2006 #8
    Actuall, it is close to the Future Value formula. If PV were actually FV (Future formula) then the fomula for the future value is:

FV = C(1+i)^n

where
    C = current value
    i = interest as decimal (i.e. 10% is .10)
    n = number of interest compounding periods (i.e. years).

Note that (1+i) is reaised to the nth power, not multiplied

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then it appears that this isn't physics, ya?

Zz.

11. Jan 31, 2006 #10
    I hope so because I'm not sure whats going on.

12. Feb 1, 2006 #11
    Sure it is physics -- everything is just physics when you break it down far enough :)

13. Feb 1, 2006 #12
    Thx

Thx for all your help guys. The closest I've come to it is FV=PV(1+i)n something to do with economics. Although it doesn't have the 'C' in it, it's the only thing that comes close.

Thx again

Frizz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?