Hi help me out with hydroxides

• Thread starter kunal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the speaker is working on using hydrogen as a fuel and needs to know the energy released during its formation. They are specifically asking about the formation of hydroxide ions and mention using the principle of a diesel engine to compress oxygen and add hydrogen, resulting in the formation of hydroxide ions. They also mention a high temperature of 800C and a short time frame of .002 seconds for this reaction to occur. The speaker is not forming any salt, but trying to join hydrogen and oxygen in their ionic form. They are wondering if this process can be done without forming hydroxide ions and what pressure conditions are required.
kunal
hi i m working on hyrogen as a fuel and need to now exactly how much energy is relesed during its formation.

Physics news on Phys.org
kunal said:
during its formation.
What does "its" refer to? To Hydrogen gas (H2) or ____ Hydroxide?
You will need to be more specific as to what chemical reaction is occurring and also the conditions which the reaction occurs under (temperature, pressure).

You will need to calculate the change in the Gibbs Free Energy, this value determines the maximum amount of work the chemical reaction may do on its surroundings.

actually i m working on hydrogen as a fuel , so the conditions applied on the hydroxide ion formation are that of high temperature about 800C, i.e.all
all the condition working on an I.C. engines during the compression stroke.
wilthis help in finding the solution

So what type of Hydroxide salt do you propose is forming?
What chemical reaction do you think will occur?
You don't just form "Hydroxide" all by itself, you need a cation to balance out the Hydroxide anion.

hi! i m using the principle of disel engine , were i m compressing
oxygen and due to this compression the temp of oxygen raises to about 800C
and then adding half the no of hydrogen atom which results in the formation of hydroxide ions,balancing is not a problem as at a later stage
hydrogen is added to form water molecule.. i just need the energy relesed due to the formation of hydroxide ion and one thing more this whole process
will be comleted in .002 sec. just tell me if u can what is the pressure cond.
required.

im not forming any salt just trying to join hydrogen and oxygen(nasent)in their ionic form

im not forming any salt just trying to join hydrogen and oxygen(nasent)in their ionic form

kunal said:
[...] which results in the formation of hydroxide ions
Does it? I don't think so.
Why would it not react to form water?
What is your reason to believe it would form Hydroxide ions?

i m just suppling enough hudrogen as per oxygen atom ratio that m feasiability is that of formation of hyroxide ion

1. What are hydroxides?

Hydroxides are a type of chemical compound that consists of a metal atom bonded to a hydroxyl group, which is composed of one hydrogen atom bonded to an oxygen atom. They are basic in nature and can be found in various forms, such as solids, liquids, and gases.

2. How are hydroxides formed?

Hydroxides are formed through the reaction of a metal with water. This reaction produces metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas. Some hydroxides, such as sodium hydroxide, can also be formed through the electrolysis of saltwater.

3. What are the common uses of hydroxides?

Hydroxides have many industrial, household, and medical uses. They are commonly used in the production of soaps, detergents, and other cleaning products. They are also used in water treatment, as well as in the production of batteries, fertilizers, and medicines.

4. How do hydroxides affect the environment?

Hydroxides can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, they can be used to neutralize acidic substances and help regulate the pH levels of water. On the other hand, some hydroxides, such as those containing heavy metals, can be toxic to plants and animals if they enter the soil or water systems.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when handling hydroxides?

Hydroxides can be corrosive and toxic, so it is important to handle them with caution. Always wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling hydroxides. They should also be stored in a cool, dry place away from other chemicals. In case of contact with skin or eyes, rinse with plenty of water and seek medical attention if necessary.