1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi! help me out with hydroxides

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    hi i m working on hyrogen as a fuel and need to now exactly how much energy is relesed during its formation.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

What does "its" refer to? To Hydrogen gas (H2) or ____ Hydroxide?
    You will need to be more specific as to what chemical reaction is occurring and also the conditions which the reaction occurs under (temperature, pressure).

You will need to calculate the change in the Gibbs Free Energy, this value determines the maximum amount of work the chemical reaction may do on its surroundings.

4. Jun 1, 2007 #3
    actually i m working on hydrogen as a fuel , so the conditions applied on the hydroxide ion formation are that of high temperature about 800C, i.e.all
    all the condition working on an I.C. engines during the compression stroke.
    wilthis help in finding the solution

5. Jun 1, 2007 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

So what type of Hydroxide salt do you propose is forming?
    What chemical reaction do you think will occur?
    You dont just form "Hydroxide" all by itself, you need a cation to balance out the Hydroxide anion.

6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    hi! i m using the principle of disel engine , were i m compressing
    oxygen and due to this compression the temp of oxygen raises to about 800C
    and then adding half the no of hydrogen atom which results in the formation of hydroxide ions,balancing is not a problem as at a later stage
    hydrogen is added to form water molecule.. i just need the energy relesed due to the formation of hydroxide ion and one thing more this whole process
    will be comleted in .002 sec. just tell me if u can what is the pressure cond.
    required.

7. Jun 8, 2007 #6
    im not forming any salt just trying to join hydrogen and oxygen(nasent)in their ionic form

8. Jun 8, 2007 #7
    im not forming any salt just trying to join hydrogen and oxygen(nasent)in their ionic form

9. Jun 8, 2007 #8

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Does it? I dont think so.
    Why would it not react to form water?
    What is your reason to believe it would form Hydroxide ions?

10. Jun 18, 2007 #9
    i m just suppling enough hudrogen as per oxygen atom ratio that m feasiability is that of formation of hyroxide ion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?