Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi i am wolram

1. Apr 22, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have a mental issue that is causing a slow decline in mental activity, does any one know a way to slow this decline i sure hate not knowing, love wolram

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2009 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I am sure i did have some friends here may be uyou forgot, never mind i am sure i will be no problem to any one soon:smile:

4. Apr 22, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hey woolie. How is your social life? Lack of stimulation can lead to diminished capacity.

5. Apr 22, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Dave i have no life as i am scared to even go out my door :smile:

6. Apr 22, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Seriously man. Hard to tell these days if you're joking around or in earnest.

Do you suffer from agoraphobia too?

7. Apr 22, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know you have friends here...((hug)).

But Dave is right, I'm not sure online interactions are a good substitute for face-to-face relationships. How about if you invite some friends or family over for dinner?

8. Apr 22, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Woolie, I have tried to send PM's but keep getting database errors and having to re-connect to PF. I'll be in touch when that clears up.

9. Apr 22, 2009 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

As long as you are posting, you are still alive. As we long as we are answering, you still have a social life. Do you want me to send you a postcard?

10. Apr 22, 2009 #9
    Well, Wolram, I fully agree with Lisa, do something, anything. Go to the pub, tell the jokes from here and keep thinking. Make pictures, find the most vivid colors of spring. Listen to the birds. Wonder about life and keep thinking.

11. Apr 22, 2009 #10

wolram

Gold Member

No Dave no jokes i seriously need , friends and help in any way possible, i do not want to become reliant on any on any one, i just need input

12. Apr 22, 2009 #11
    A slow decline, so we may have you around for many years yet. Keep reading, play often, laugh very loud and treasure everything around you. Keep a journal of everything, write it down, everything.

13. Apr 22, 2009 #12

wolram

Gold Member

You are nice guys but i see you do not understand :smile: how can big brains understand no brains ,that would be like t rex knowing us, i just hope i can hold on to some modicum of intelligence

14. Apr 22, 2009 #13

Borek

Call me big brain again and I will never post in your threads.

15. Apr 22, 2009 #14

RonL

Gold Member

Hi wollie,
    You say "a mental issue", is it one thing or just a general feeling? You might just have more help than you realize, on this forum.

Ron

16. Apr 22, 2009 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Woolie, your posts over the years have more than adequately demonstrated that you're a very intelligent bloke. You're getting to the age where everyone starts to lose a bit of focus. It's been happening to me for years, and I'm pretty sure that you're a bit older than me.
    Even if you're not naturally a social animal, just find a pub that you like and sit by yourself reading (or better yet, writing or drawing). Sure as hell, people will get curious enough to start up a conversation. Eventually someone will invite you to heave some darts or play some pool or even just join their table for some chat. You won't likely get on with all of them, but at least a few will become friends. Don't rush it. In the meantime, we're certainly not about to turn our backs on you.

17. Apr 22, 2009 #16

Evo

WOLRAM!!!! I love you Wolram!! I've been swamped and the forum's been down and Now I am getting into the car. Hang on.

18. Apr 22, 2009 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hang in there woolie.

19. Apr 22, 2009 #18
    The perception of mental illness can often lead people to place a disproportionate amount of attention to the qualities they have that might indicate mental illness, leading to further re-enforcement of the idea and a feedback loop that results in the individual displaying qualities that are indistinguishable from real mental illness.

This video will give you general heuristics for solving your problem:

UyPrL0cmJRs[/youtube] Also you c...ll age demographics: [url]www.facebook.com
    www.twitter.com
    www.stumbleupon.com

20. Apr 22, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doing mental exercise helps keep your brain working longer. Read books, do puzzles, that sort of thing. Physical exercise can help too, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood once a day. If you're worried that something might happen while out walking, go out at a time of day when other people are home and active in their yards. For example, about the time everyone comes home from work and before they make dinner, you might take a stroll, and if something happens, plenty of people will be around to help.

Do you have a town square or something similar where people gather on weekends or during the lunch hour? Maybe you can meet people that way. Any clubs or organizations you could join? Maybe there is a gathering for gardeners? Or maybe you have a local library with events? What about a cafe that's not too busy during the day where you could sit for a while with a book and flirt with waitresses who are bored from too few customers?

21. Apr 22, 2009 #20
    Don't worry Wolram, my grandmother complains of the same thing. I always tell her to ... What were we talking about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook