Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi,I be new

Tags:
  1. Feb 26, 2016 #1

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

I am an aspiring computer scientist, software developer, and game developer. I like to play video games and learn new things. My favorite programming language is C++, my favorite game is Dark Souls, and my favorite movie is probably "Tangled."

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Have you played with the Unity game engine? It's awesome for making cross-platform games and for working with the Oculus Rift.

4. Feb 27, 2016 #3

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

No. Currently I'm undecided on an engine. I was considering beginning with SFML or Unreal

5. Feb 27, 2016 #4

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

That oculus rift bit is about to sell me though. I want to make a VR puzzle

6. Feb 27, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Unity has been gaining a lot of traction especially because you write the game once and you can generate versions for a lot of platforms.

I haven't tried only the Android and MacOSX platforms so far. We developed a simple game that showcased the rift by journeying through the Mariannas Trench using the Oculus. It was quite remarkable running on MacOSX. WE had to do some simple mods to get it to run on the Android due to hardware limitations.

Here's a comparison article showing pros and cons that I found that may help you decide:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/unity-udk-cryengine-game-engine-choose/

7. Feb 28, 2016 #6

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

checking it out now.

8. Feb 28, 2016 #7

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

UE4 definitely

9. Feb 28, 2016 #8

Black_Majiks

Gold Member

Just have to get Intermediate in OOP, finish my Android application, then I will jump into Game Dev. Can't wait. I really want to start now.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook