Hi i really with dealing with logs

• Thread starter akj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
If so, I will solve it for you:A - (1/2)A= 2(1-1/2)A= 2(1/2)A= 2A= 4Now, taking log base 3 of each side:log_3(x)= 43^4= x81= xSo you should have 81 as your answer.
akj
Hi i really need help with dealing with logs:

log x - log x = 2
3 9

so i change the base, since 9 is a power of 3.

y = log_9(x)

Then

9^y = x

(3^2)^y = x

3^(2y) = x

2y = log_3(x)

log_3(x)
y = --------

Now i have

log_3(x)
log_3(x) - -------- = 2

but i am really stuck with dealing with the x please help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since logarithms have nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra", I am moving this to "general math"

What do the ------ parts mean?

it's an attempt at writing division. For instance,

log_3(x)
y = --------

should read

[tex]y=\frac{\log_3{x}}{2}[/tex]

Trying to interpret:
akj said:
Hi i really need help with dealing with logs:

log x - log x = 2
3 9
log3 x- log9 x= 2

so i change the base, since 9 is a power of 3.

y = log_9(x)

Then

9^y = x

(3^2)^y = x

3^(2y) = x

2y = log_3(x)

log_3(x)
y = --------
[tex]y= \frac{log_3(x)}{2}[/tex]
There is a general formula that
[tex]log_a(x)= \frac{\log_b(x)}{log_b(a)}[/tex]
where b is any positive number. In particular, taking b= 3 here
[tex]log_9(x)= \frac{\log_3(x)}{log_3(9)}= \frac{\log_3(x)}{2}[/tex]

Now i have

log_3(x)
log_3(x) - -------- = 2
log3(x)- (1/2)log3(x)= 2

but i am really stuck with dealing with the x please help!
Could you solve A- (1/2)A= 2? If so then set log3(x) equal to that and solve for x by taking 3 to the power of each side.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,

i have calculated that x = 81 which is correct, but i solved this with trial & error. How would i have solved the final section of this equation using algebra?

I asked before, "Could you solve A- (1/2)A= 2?" Are you saying you cannot solve that equation?

What are logs and why are they important in scientific research?

Logs are records of events or data that have been observed or measured during a scientific experiment or study. They are important because they provide a detailed account of the research process and can be used to validate results and replicate experiments.

What are some common challenges when dealing with logs in scientific research?

Some common challenges when dealing with logs include organizing and managing large amounts of data, ensuring accuracy and consistency in recording, and interpreting and analyzing the data effectively.

How can I effectively use logs in my scientific research?

To effectively use logs in scientific research, it is important to establish a clear and consistent system for recording data, regularly review and analyze the data, and document any changes or updates to the logs. It can also be helpful to collaborate with others and seek guidance from experienced researchers.

What are some tips for troubleshooting issues with logs in scientific research?

If you encounter issues with logs in scientific research, some tips for troubleshooting include checking for errors or inconsistencies in the data, reviewing the recording process to ensure it is accurate and thorough, and consulting with colleagues or experts for advice or assistance.

How can I ensure the security and confidentiality of logs in scientific research?

To ensure the security and confidentiality of logs in scientific research, it is important to follow established protocols for handling and storing data, limit access to authorized personnel only, and properly dispose of logs once they are no longer needed. Additionally, obtaining consent from participants and using pseudonyms or codes to protect identities can help protect the privacy of individuals involved in the research.