What are the latest theories on time and its relationship with the universe?

• Thread starter Fobio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation is an introduction of Fobio, a married banker with a passion for cars and amateur racing. He has always had an interest in science, particularly in physics, and is intrigued by recent developments in the field. He is interested in topics such as time, the expanding universe, and theories surrounding it. He is excited to discuss these topics with others on the forum.
Fobio
Hi...I go by Fobio. Good to be here...and I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 30-something married banker who's into cars and amateur racing. In my high school years I did well in math and physics but did not pursue that in university. I've always had a interest in science to the point that my friends would call geeky, but IT DON'T MATTER. =)

Anyway, I've always followed science news and tech blogs, and with some of the recent TV programs and developments I see in the physics world, it got me thinking again about the stuff I really cared about inside. Particularly, time being a product of relative speed, current observations of an expanding universe, the variances in the consistency and persistence of space-time, and all the associated buzz around dark matter/energy, mass, and what a lay person like myself undertands of string and m-theory. With regards to time, I'm really interested in different theories on whether it is slowing down or accelerating, on in a certain state of flux...

I look forward to discussing with you smart guys and gals and appreciate in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Fobio! Glad you found us :smile:.

Hello Fobio, make yourself right at home, snacks are in the fridge.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers. It also introduces the concept of space-time, where time is not absolute but can be affected by gravity and the relative motion of objects.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation, another principle of the theory of relativity, states that time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. This means that time is relative and can be different for different observers depending on their speed and location in the universe.

3. What is the concept of a "block universe"?

The "block universe" theory suggests that time is not linear, but rather all events, past, present, and future, exist simultaneously in a four-dimensional block. This means that the past, present, and future are all equally real and that the perception of time passing is simply an illusion.

4. How does the theory of entropy relate to time?

The theory of entropy, also known as the second law of thermodynamics, states that the total entropy, or disorder, of the universe is constantly increasing. This means that the universe is moving towards a state of maximum disorder, or maximum entropy, which is often associated with the concept of time moving forward.

5. What is the leading theory on the beginning of time and the universe?

The Big Bang theory is currently the leading explanation for the beginning of time and the universe. It proposes that the universe was created around 13.8 billion years ago in a massive explosion, and has been expanding and evolving ever since. However, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research in this area.