1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi, im having trouble finding out what formula i should use for this physics question

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Swati was driving her car over the speed limit when an oncoming car car flashes its lights warning her of a radar trap ahead. She decelerates from 39 m/s to 27 m/s in 6.0 s. What deceleration did her brakes apply?

- im not sure what formula to use so does anyone have a clue what formula i could use for this question? Thanks for taking your time.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what's the definition of acceleration (or in this case deceleration) that you have come across in your lessons, or in your textbook?

4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    umm well my teacher taught us this new displacement formula but i dunt think its related to the question i need help with .. but this is the formula he taught us: d= v1 deltat+1/2 a(deltat)2 sorry i dunt kno how to make the traingle for delta and the arrow heads... im new to this

5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    but we usually use the average velocity=delta d/delta t formula..

oh..i fthink its this formula a=delta t + v2-v1 is this correct?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    [tex]\[
    a = {\textstyle{{\Delta v} \over {\Delta t}}}
    \][/tex]

7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    thanks KingNothing

8. Apr 15, 2007 #7
    But if i was to use a=delta v/delta t .. how do i put to veclotiys? 39 m/s to 27 m/s

9. Apr 15, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\Delta v[/itex] means "change in velocity" just like [itex]\Delta t[/itex] means change in time. Here, the change in time is 6 seconds, and the change in velocity is exactly what it sounds like it should be; namely (39-27)m/s.

10. Apr 15, 2007 #9
    oh so would i just do 39-27? which is 12 m/s?

11. Apr 15, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yup, then substitute into the equation for acceleration.

12. Apr 15, 2007 #11
    Alright, thanks alot cristo for ur help and KingNothing for the formula. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?