1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi i'm new here (book suggestions)

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hi i'm white knight(night) and i'm from california. I noticed you didn't have a new member intro section, nor an off topic section so i'm posting here. I signed up on your forum because, well to be frank, i had a bad trip on some drugs about a year ago and had a psychotic breakdown/shift in consciousness and i'm now recovering and i'm trying to find solidity in my reality. I was always good at math and I figured a better understanding of physics would help me with this conundrum of mine.

What books related to physics should i read to better understand the workings of things? It would be nice to start with the foundation of physics and work my way outwards to more advanced theories. I read Parallel Worlds by Michio kaku and i'm currently reading a biography on Einstein. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    Hello there, what is your current math background?

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, White Knight.
    You're in the right place. Lots of us have mental problems (mine is ADD), and have managed to make that a positive. I can't really recommend any books because of my age. In my day, it was Carl Sagan, Steven Weinberg, Isaac Asimov...

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

If you can get a hold of the Feynmann lectures in physics, I would suggest reading the earlier volumes.

6. Jun 24, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Try our General Discussion forum, down near the bottom of the list. That's where most people put their introductions.

Tip: if you decide to post a proper introduction there, you can save us a step by telling us up front what your favorite fish is. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook