Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi,is there a method for

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    translating number in base 6 into a number in base 3???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2
    You looking to do this in software I assume? More information please.

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    no i want to do it by pen and paper

i just started to learn this "digital logic" thing
    i am looking for a way of
    translating a number in base 6 into a number in base 3

5. Feb 2, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 2, 2008 #5
    in google search i got only specific examples of transformation

regarding the method in the link cant see how it destinguishing the base of our
    "victim number"(the one we want to change)

bacause it just says to take the number and to devide it by the new base

123 (in base 4) is the same number as 123 (in base 10)

there is no difference here??
    the original base must play some role

7. Feb 2, 2008 #6
    123 in base 4 and 123 in base 10 are most certainly different. In base 4 from right to left, each place is worth 1, then 4, then 16, then 64, etc. In base 10 from right to left, each place is worth 1, then 10, then 100, then 1000, etc. In each base, each placeholder (excluding the very right one) is worth the previous placeholder multiplied by the base. The very right placeholder is always worth 1. So to use your example of 123 in base 4, you would add 3 (3 x 1) plus 8 (2 x 4) plus 4 (1 x 4) and the result is 15 decimal. I'm not always the best at explaining things so I'm sorry if this confuses you. If so, keep the questions coming, we'll get you straightened out. The only coversions I usually do are between hex, binary and decimal. Converting between binary and hex is a snap and my method shown above will get you to and from decimal easily. In school we were told the most fool-proof way is to take everything through binary, I can't say I agree though.

8. Feb 2, 2008 #7
    i want to transform a number in base 6 into a number in base 3

"So to use your example of 123 in base 4, you would add 3 (3 x 1) plus 8 (2 x 4) plus 4 (1 x 4) and the result is 15 decimal"

i was looking for a way to transform straight forward without any middle man

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?