• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Hi looking for a clear roadmap

I'm a new member that is terrible at Mathematics but I am intrigued by physics.
I come to this great forum with a singular goal for the moment and that is to learn physics at the level of a AP high school student.
Any info would be great!

thanks everyone,

Alex

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you.

You'll probably find members urging you to improve your math. Mathematics is the language of physics. Analogies as in pop sci, are always imperfect. They lead to misconceptions, and are frowned on by real scientists.

Help yourself with Khan Academy, they have a structured AP Physics program.
AP Physics 1 : https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/ap-physics-1
AP Physics 2 : https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/ap-physics-2
If you need help in math, they also have made content covering that.
I am assuming you're taking the algebra based APs of course.

berkeman

Mentor
I'm a new member that is terrible at Mathematics but I am intrigued by physics.
I come to this great forum with a singular goal for the moment and that is to learn physics at the level of a AP high school student.
I was not real good at math in high school, but through hard work I got a lot better in college, and have turned out pretty well (MSEE, R&D work, patents, etc.). Hang in there and work on your math skills, and you can improve and do great. Welcome to the PF. :smile:

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
ApPhysics84,

You did not say what your current situation or status is academically, but if you are college-aged-typical, a good first goal might be Associate in Arts Degree in Physics, which means you would go through all the officially necessary Mathematics, and some basic courses for Physics as well as a few other sciences. The Mathematics is very necessary: Algebra 1 &2, Trigonometry, maybe also College Algebra, Calculus 1,2,3, and usually one or two additional Mathematics courses.

Yes Thanks so much my post was a little vague I am not in High school and am looking to get up to speed to go back to community college to get the Associate in Art Degree in Physics. So my roadmap is mainly to self study to prepare to get a AA in Physics.

Thank again Alex

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Yes Thanks so much my post was a little vague I am not in High school and am looking to get up to speed to go back to community college to get the Associate in Art Degree in Physics. So my roadmap is mainly to self study to prepare to get a AA in Physics.

Thank again Alex
That is the right or maybe perfect goal. You will need regular dedicated study time while in school (community college). The one big difference between studying-on-your-own to prepare, and actually being IN school is LABORATORY sections of courses, and instructional interactivity of the otherwise lecture-based courses.

Wow really good info I will keep you guys posted on what resources i'm learning with and will ask for help if they are not working to look for alternative opinions from you guys :)

Thank you

Alex