What is the Importance of Credible Sources in Scientific Discussions?

• Thread starter PRHquest
  • Start date
In summary, credible sources are essential in scientific discussions because they provide accurate and reliable information that can be trusted by other researchers and the general public. Using credible sources helps to ensure that scientific discussions are based on factual evidence rather than opinions or false information. This not only helps to maintain the integrity of the scientific community but also allows for the advancement of knowledge and the development of new ideas. Without credible sources, scientific discussions can become biased, misleading, and potentially harmful to the progress of science. Therefore, it is crucial to always use and cite credible sources in scientific discussions to uphold the standards of scientific inquiry and promote the dissemination of accurate information.
PRHquest
Hi. The is my introduction...
I like technical subjects and everything to do with science and technology... If I had the time and money I would probably go to university to study science so I would be able to reattach stuff myself.
Anyway.. Why I'm really here... I seek truth.
I've recently finished reading a book.
I'll be starting a topic about the author of that book since the book itself is to uncomfortable for those which thrive in the same daily routine.
So... that's about it... I'm here to seek the highly trained opinion of this she's members/mentors regarding the biography and qualifications of that book's author.
I want to know if what he says is true.. meaning if he got his physics right... if the topic progresses well then hopefully we'll be able to dissect since of the issues in that book on a page by page or at least statement by statement... The book is very technical.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please take some time to read the site rules under the INFO tab in the top right corner of the page.

If the book that you 're mentioned is from a well known scientist then we will probably be able to discuss your questions.

However, if it the book is more speculative in nature then we will not as we don't dwell on speculative science or personal theories.

Thank for the reply. Since it says "no questions" on the intro section, and I had a few question regarding the format I should use on the topic...
Here's the topic link
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/judging-a-book-not-by-its-cover-please-be-gentle.860376/
and you can read about it there. I won't post the guys biography or any of the cases in the book until I get a reply there in which section of the forum it's best to keep the topic and that maybe members/mentors will be somewhat gentle. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't comment on the book unless we know its title and its author. If our senior members don't agree then we won't discuss the book on this forum.

Please don't skirt around this issue by trying to get the author's idea out on the site without us knowing who he/she is and the title of the book.

From the thread you referenced, other mentors have stated emphatically that if its not mainstream science or math then we won't discuss it period.

Please understand that we are volunteers here and we have a mission to help students understand mainstream math and science. From past experience we know that discussing speculative ideas confuses any student who may read it and think that PF thinks its okay to talk about.

Personally, I am not happy with how you are approaching this in such a cagey manner like walking on ice that is about to crack. If you think we won't like it then don't bother posting it here at PF. Does that make sense?

Likes CalcNerd