Hi ,new here and have a question!

• Thread starter Gibbon
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi ,new here and have a question! :)

Hi all.. ok im trying to teach my self the best way i can about flight physics. I am an avid avation fan and have been for a long time, i fly planes my self aswell as RC planes / helicopters so im not entirely new to them, but true physics of flight is not somthing you absolutly need to know in order to fly them! :)

So.. i am also a software programmer and i have written a small program to help me understand the formulas and so far ive got a "wing profile" that changes altitude from a result of lift only at the moment. (no gravity, mass or drag)

So.. ive now worked out drag and i have my drag value of the wing (that changes according to AoA, i also have my mass, and gravity.. but unfortunatly ive got myself very confused about how i put them all together (if possible).

I know there is a huge amount of factors so im trying to keep it simple as i can while realistic. (its only for my personal plesure)

For instance, my lift so far only relies on the CL , velocity, AoA, Wing Area and Air Density.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Andy

Answers and Replies

There are, in general, four forces acting on the plane. Lift, drag, thrust, and gravity. The vector sum of those forces is the net force. Then acceleration is given by F = m a.

I recently came across this site that goes into detail about the physics of flight, among other things (such as piloting).

Specifically this page could be helpful to you.
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html