1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi (please help)

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1

my doctor give me this chalnge problmes

Find the dimensions of the isoseceles tringale of least area that circumscribes a circle of raduios r
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your doctor prescribed this?
    (That's a joke- in the United States at least "Doctor" is almost always interpreted as "Physician".)

But it does mean that this should go in the homework section so I'm going to move it.

The first thing I would do is draw a picture. Can you show, by symmetry, perhaps, that such an isosceles triangle must be an equilateral triangle? And hopefully recognise that the center of the circle is at the point where the altitudes of the triangle intersect. Now, do you know a relation between the length of the sides of an equilateral triangle and the length of an altitude? And a relation between the entire length of the altitude and the length from the intersection of altitudes to the foot of an altitude?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?