Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi there

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    My name is Scott Mitchel and currently im a freshmen in college. So far ive only taken in Intro to Engineering but I came from a high school where I was given lots of Engineering courses. Most notable was a research and development course. Right now my major is Engieering Physics Mechanical Engineering. Since a kid ive always wanted to design stuff and make new things such as military equipment, planes and so on. Later in life I still but on a higher scale for instance I like the idea of developing and designing helicopters, tanks, etc. Because my overall career is have two jobs one in my civilian and one in the army. But I want to focus on my civilian job. Am I on the right path?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Scott.
    No one but you can determine whether or not you're on the right path. You are definitely in the right place, though.

4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    Sounds like mechanical engineering is the place to go for you. Remember that you are unlikely to actually be involved in designing something at a high level without a graduate degree.
    Make sure you stay involved at an early stage with design competitions such as autonomous vehicles or model flight completions. These are great exercises to see how you interact with other people. Remember that you hardly ever design something by yourself other than small subparts, so communication is key.

5. Mar 19, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Scott. Sounds like you are on the right path, with a bright future if you are willing to work hard and work smart. Great advice by jaap, BTW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?