1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi, This question I found

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    What's the equation of a circumference that has center on (0,0) and a tangent line x + 3y = 10?

The answer is supposed to be x^2 + y^2 = 10, but I don't know how to get there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

If you have a circle with center O (0, 0), and a tangent line x + 3y = 10. Can you find out the distance between the center, and the tangent line? Is it also the radius of the circle?
    Having the center O (0, 0), and its radius, can you find the equation of that circle? :)
  4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    Very helpful

but there is more than 1 distance from (0,0) to the x + 3y = 10 line, how do I know which distance will give me a radius for a circle that will only touch the line at 1 point?
  5. Sep 11, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

What do you mean by 'more' than 1 distance? The distance between a point and a line is, roughly speaking, the shortest line segment, that have one endpoint is that point, and the other point lies on the line.
    Say, you have a point M(xM, yM), and the line [tex]\Delta[/tex], whose equation is: ax + by + c = 0.
    Do you know the formula:
    [tex]d ( M, \ \Delta) = \frac{|ax_m + by_m + c|}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}}[/tex]?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  6. Sep 11, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, there is only one distance from a point to a line- it is the shortest distance from that point to any point on the line. It should take only a little thought to see that dropping a perpendicular to the line from the point will give the shortest distance (think about the fact that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is the longest side).

What is the slope of the line x+ 3y= 10?
    What is the slope of a line perpendicular to that?
    What is the equation of the line through (0,0) with that slope?
    Where does that line intersect the line x+ 3y= 10?
  7. Sep 12, 2006 #6
    So then the perpendicular line for y = (10 - x)/3, which has a slope of
    -x/3 would be 3x and then the equation has to go through (0,0) and y = 3x goes through zero, and the intersection between the two lines would (1,3) hmm which then we measure the distance

sqrt((3-0)^2 + (1-0)^2) = sqrt(10) = distance = radius

and then the circle would be x^2 + y^2 = 10 ....!!

Thanks so much Ivy and to the others too =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?