Can We Start a Thread for Learning and Teaching on This Site?

• Thread starter Containment
  • Start date
In summary, the person suggests starting a general homework help thread on a site with many smart and well-educated people. They believe it would be a great opportunity for learning and teaching, and possible fun. They specifically mention math, science, and philosophy as subjects that could be covered in the thread. However, another person points out that having one thread for multiple subjects may not be effective and suggests having individual threads for each question.
Containment
Hello I have been coming to this site for a short time now and I have noticed this site has plenty of smart people that are very well educated. There is so much in this world to learn and I feel as if I have only just started learning even after all the classes and work I have done. While I know that general homework threads exist I would like to see one for any subject that a larger group of people could partake in. It would be a great chance for learning and teaching I believe and possibly great fun.

I was wondering if someone could start a thread on this site for people who have math, science. philosophy or any other questions they are looking for answers to. So that everyone in the thread could work together as a group to help the asker to learn how to find the answer or give feedback about it. Kinda like a general homework help thread for any subject and also with discussions about it at the same time. This would be one thread with many subjects covered that someone could read and possibly discover something they did not know or a better way to solve the problem.

At any rate it is nice to know a place such as physics forums exists and I wish you all the best.

Physics news on Phys.org

That doesn't really work. Imagine if, for some reason, that thread actually took off. You post a question. 7 people would reply to 7 other questions in no particular order. When the 8th person finally replies to your question, by which you've gotten frustrated due to lack of response and don't check the thread again.

It's better to have individual threads for individual questions. Not only does it keep things on topic, but it allows SMEs to find relevant questions to answer without having to dig through a morass of crap.

Excellent answer fss.

1. What is the purpose of starting a thread for learning and teaching on this site?

The purpose of starting a thread for learning and teaching on this site is to create a space for users to share knowledge, ask questions, and engage in discussions related to a specific topic. This can help individuals expand their understanding and skill set in a particular subject and promote a collaborative learning environment.

2. Who can participate in the learning and teaching thread?

Anyone with an interest in the topic can participate in the learning and teaching thread. This can include both beginners and experts who are interested in sharing and learning from others.

3. Can I request specific topics to be discussed on the learning and teaching thread?

Yes, you can request specific topics to be discussed on the learning and teaching thread. This can help to ensure that the thread remains relevant and informative for all participants.

4. How can I ensure the information shared on the learning and teaching thread is accurate?

While the information shared on the learning and teaching thread may not be verified by the site, users are encouraged to provide sources and evidence to support their claims. It is also recommended to engage in respectful and constructive discussions to promote accuracy and avoid misinformation.

5. Can I use the learning and teaching thread to promote my own products or services?

No, the learning and teaching thread is not intended for self-promotion. It is meant to be a space for sharing knowledge and learning from others, not for advertising. Users who violate this guideline may be subject to moderation or removal from the thread.