HMM Homework: Calculate Pr(S,π) with aRG=aGR=1/4, aRR=aGG=3/4

• Thread starter bowlbase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, for an HMM with two states (R and G) and a sequence S = ACGT and path π = RGGR, the probability Pr(S, π) is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of the initial state (1/2), the emission probabilities (3/10*3/4 for A, 3/10*1/4 for C, 3/10*3/4 for G, and 3/10*1/4 for T), and the transition probabilities (1/4*1/4 for R->G and 1/4*3/4 for G->R). This should be done for both possible starting states (R and G) and the results should be
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Consider an HMM with two possible states, “R” and “G” (for “regulatory” and “gene” sequences respectively). Each state emits one character, chosen from the alphabet {A,C,G,T}.

The transition probabilities of this HMM are:
aRG = aGR = 1/4
aRR = aGG = 3/4
The emission probabilities are:
eR (A)= eR (C)= eR (G)= eR (T)=1/4
eG (A)= eG (T)=2/10 and
eG (C)= eG (G)=3/10

Assume that the initial state of the HMM is “R” or “G” with equal probabilities. Given a sequence S = ACGT and an HMM path π = RGGR, calculate the probability Pr(S, π) of the sequence and the path.

Homework Equations

$$P(S,\pi) = \prod_{i=1} a_{\pi_{i-1}},\pi_i e_{\pi_i}(x_i)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

We discussed this equation in class but never actually used it or spent time describing how to wield it. I just don't see how the information I'm given comes together in that equation.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I have found a way to do this, but I want to make sure it is correct.

I believe that the equation is telling me to multiply the two probabilities (prob.to be ACGT within R or G and prob. that R or G changed) and then multiply all of those together. I'm just not sure about order..

So, I have S=ACGT and pi = RGGR

ACGT
RGGR

The first probability is 1/2 for either R and G. Then A, being in R, has prob 1/4. And then there is a just a 1/4 probability that R->G for the next character.

I'm not sure if 1/2 should be included from the beginning or not because the of how the last character works. But I have

(1/4*1/4)(3/10*3/4)(3/10*1/4)(1/4)

So, I've multiplied each emission probability with the probability of R/G swapping. Then multiplied all of those together. The last probability I did not multiply against anything (other than the series) because there is no following change. Though, I wonder if I should multiply by 1/2 since the first choice was probability 1/2 between R and G.

Is this the correct method?

Thanks.

It isn't entirely clear, but judging from the equation you are given it looks like the RGGR path starts at the second state (1), and the first emitted character is just after entry to that state. (Consider the i=1 term in the product.). If so, you need to consider (and sum) the sequences RRGGR and GRGGR.

1. What is HMM Homework?

HMM stands for Hidden Markov Model, which is a statistical model used to describe a sequence of observed events or states. HMM homework typically involves solving problems related to calculating probabilities or likelihoods in a given HMM.

2. How do you calculate Pr(S,π) in an HMM with given transition probabilities?

Pr(S,π) is the probability of a sequence of events S occurring in an HMM with a given initial state distribution π. To calculate this, you would need to use the forward algorithm, which involves calculating the probability of each state at each time step and then summing them up to get the overall probability of the sequence S.

3. What is the significance of aRG=aGR=1/4 and aRR=aGG=3/4 in the given HMM problem?

These values represent the transition probabilities between the states R and G in the HMM. In this case, aRG and aGR are both 1/4, which means that there is an equal probability of transitioning from state R to state G and vice versa. Similarly, aRR and aGG are both 3/4, indicating a higher probability of staying in the same state rather than transitioning to the other state.

4. How do you use the given transition probabilities to calculate Pr(S,π)?

To calculate Pr(S,π), you would need to first construct the transition matrix for the HMM using the given transition probabilities. Then, you would use this matrix in the forward algorithm to calculate the probability of the sequence S occurring in the HMM with the given initial state distribution π.

5. Are there any other methods for solving HMM homework problems besides the forward algorithm?

Yes, there are other methods such as the backward algorithm and the Viterbi algorithm that can be used for solving HMM homework problems. However, the forward algorithm is typically the most commonly used and is also the most intuitive method for calculating probabilities in an HMM.