Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hidden memories

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Watching one of these boring TV quiz shows i found i new answers to questions i have no interest in, it had me thinking how much stuff i know i do not want to know and how much of my memory capacity is used up with useless information.o0)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2
    It would be nice if we could plug in to a computer and look at our mind via a file manager, right?

Just don't hit the reset to factory settings button!

4. Mar 4, 2016 #3
    As I get older I have discovered that I automatically screen new information for some sense of how long it might be good for. The older a person gets the more you realize how much effort you wasted in your life trying to remember things that ended up being superseded by more recent information.

For example, I find I have an instinctual resistance to remembering the operating hours of any business because there's a really good chance that business will have closed in five years, or, at least, will have changed those hours. Today it makes even less sense to remember stuff like that because you can google just about anything.

5. Mar 4, 2016 #4

wolram

Gold Member

How do you screen out stuff you do not even know you are learning?

6. Mar 4, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I still remember my family's phone number when we lived in Yuma, AZ, 1954 to 1958 - SU 3-4594. I doubt that remembering this uses up space that could be held for more timely information. The brain is able to retain a lot of stuff -- some useful, some not.

7. Mar 4, 2016 #6
    With my, 'I-don't-even-know-I-am-screening' screen. This is a brain function that's been located on the 'I-can't believe-it's-not-butter' gyrus of the inferior medial 'I-can't-believe-I-just-said-that' area.

8. Mar 4, 2016 #7
    Sometimes when you catch a virus that's the only way. :-p
    I stopped memorizing phone numbers a long time ago. Now when somethings happen to the phone and I don't have a backup, I lose contacts for real.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #8

wolram

Gold Member

This is a way technology is getting inseparable from day to day living, i need my phone to remember numbers so i don't have to, it is the old information i want to delete
    like i do not want to remember how to shim a gearbox, that part of my life is long gone.

10. Mar 4, 2016 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are no numbers stored on my cell phone. As far as cell phones are concerned, I am a Luddite. I think I got my cell phone on 2002 - it's a Nokia, with a little bitty screen (monochrome) and an antenna that pulls out. No one knows the number, including me. I use it almost exclusively to call other people, and that only occasionally. I charge it up about twice a year.

11. Mar 4, 2016 #10
    Old Nokias are legend (in the sense that they are awesome :bow:). I can't believe you have one. Take good care of it.
    I don't know what "shim a gearbox" means, but it sounds useful :bugeye:. Things I want to forget are things I think I did that were stupid and also hope everyone else forgets. Like: I really hope no one else remembers it.

funny-boy-sleeping-stupid-thing-years-ago.jpg
    Source

12. Mar 5, 2016 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I don't know what "shim a gearbox" means, but it sounds useful :bugeye:. Things I want to forget are things I think I did that were stupid and also hope everyone else forgets. Like: I really hope no one else remembers it.

Shimming gearboxes is a forgotten craft these days a reconditioned unit is cheaper to buy. now what on earth could you have done that was stupid that you want to forget:cool:

13. Mar 5, 2016 #12
    Oh.
    Not done, said, in front of many people, in middle school. Who knows...
    Good. I like it like that. Let it stay like that.
    I said shut up! :H I'll do what you want, just shut up... :cry:

:-p

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  14. Mar 6, 2016 #13

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The trouble with that is when on the phone and somebody asks me my phone number I have to tell them I have no way to know because I'm on the phone to someone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted