Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hidden variable theories

1. May 11, 2006 #1
    "Hidden variables theories", what is the main arguments that these probably isnt theories of our universe?
    What kind of observations in a "hidden variable theory" would be diffrent from what we observe? And why are they different?

Can someone please give some basic answears and maybe point me in the right direction for further reading.

Sorry if this has already been answeard but i have searched and not found any good topics or information anywhere.

Thanks
    /Gravito

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The usual argument goes back to Bell's Theorem, which essentially states as follows:

"No physical theory of local Hidden Variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of Quantum Mechanics."

You can helpful links to learn more about this from my web page on the subject: Bell's Theorem: An Overview with Lotsa Links. There are also many "no-go" theorems which purport to also rule out hidden variables. The Kochen-Specker Theorem is an example.

4. May 11, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much.. :)

Just what i needed

5. May 11, 2006 #4

ttn

Sure. On the other hand, the *correct* argument (which BTW is also Bell's argument) is that Bell's Theorem has nothing to do with refuting the possibility of hidden variables. Perhaps Dr C is correct that, according to the masses, Bell's theorem shows that hidden variable theories aren't possible. But, if that's so, the masses are simply wrong. Read Bell's (nice accessible) papers. Read Maudlin's excellent book "Quantum Nonlocal and Relativity." Don't just follow the masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?