Hide Drive and restrict data/folders access

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, to hide a drive from guests and restrict them from accessing those folders: Log into admin mode, select the drive and then click on "properties". Then click on "sharing" and uncheck "make this folder private". Of course, this varies from OS to OS, but should be approximately the same. I recommend Winfilter (http://updownsoft.com/products/winfilter/) and Folder Guard (http://www.folderguard.com/).
darkar
Hello,

How can i hide a drive from guests and restrict them from accessing those folders?

I also found many softwares from search. Anyone using one? If so, which software u recommend?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
To restrict access to a drive: Log into admin mode, simply right click on the drive and click on "properties". Then click on "Sharing"...then check "make this folder private" Ofcourse, this varies from OS to OS, but should be approximately the same. I do not know much about any software that can do this.

I found a software calls folder guard. and it seems work well :P

I have used cleanslate and found it satisfying.

Can I recommend Winfilter?

I was really impressed by its profile feature (it help me switch system
configuration easily and quickly).
It also includes the following features:
hide drives and files
hide start menu icon
hide program shortcuts
hide desktop icons

To know more detail, please check their website (http://updownsoft.com [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to secure things and to keep the contents of your drive private is to format your hard drive in the NTSF format.
Then log on as an administrator - right click on the drive in my computer - select properties and then on the security tab ,which i don't believe you get if your hard drive is formatted as FAT32.

Then its a simple matter of highlighting a user name and ticking a box against the different permissions you wish to give that user for that drive.

You may need to add a user which is a simple matter of clicking on the advanced tab and adding them .

Most importantly don't forget to give yourself permission before you apply your setting. I find its always good to have a second account which has full access to everything just in case.

An alternative is to encrypt the data.

ukmicky said:
The best way to secure things and to keep the contents of your drive private is to format your hard drive in the NTSF format.
Dont you mean NTFS? :smile: anyway I would also recommend NTFS on Windows to lock down access to your data. The best way is what MeJennifer has suggested, encryption. If you don't encrypt your data, it is quite easy to override any NTFS permissions you give folders, and files. (Just boot into Konppix for example).

1. How do I hide a drive on my computer?

To hide a drive on your computer, you can use the disk management tool in your operating system or a third-party software. In Windows, you can open the disk management tool by right-clicking on the "My Computer" or "This PC" icon and selecting "Manage." From there, you can select the drive you want to hide, right-click on it, and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths." Then click on the "Remove" button to hide the drive.

2. Can I hide a specific folder or file on my computer?

Yes, you can hide specific folders or files on your computer by changing their attributes. In Windows, you can right-click on the folder or file, select "Properties," and check the box next to "Hidden" under the "Attributes" section. This will hide the folder or file from view, but it can still be accessed by someone who knows the exact path.

3. How can I restrict access to certain folders or files on my computer?

You can restrict access to specific folders or files on your computer by setting permissions. In Windows, you can right-click on the folder or file, select "Properties," and click on the "Security" tab. From there, you can choose which users or groups have access to the folder or file and what type of access they have (e.g., read, write, modify).

4. Is there a way to password protect a hidden drive or folder?

Yes, you can password protect a hidden drive or folder by using encryption software. There are various encryption tools available that allow you to create a password-protected container or folder where you can store your sensitive files. Only those with the correct password can access the encrypted files.

5. Can I hide a drive or restrict access to folders on a shared network?

Yes, you can hide drives or restrict access to folders on a shared network by using network permissions. In Windows, you can right-click on the folder or drive, select "Properties," and click on the "Sharing" tab. From there, you can choose which users or groups have access to the folder or drive and what type of access they have (e.g., read, write, modify). You can also set up passwords for shared folders to restrict access to only authorized users.