Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hiding in plain sight - the secret life of the Greenbrier Hotel

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/july/25/brier1.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    Now that... that's a story. I would imagine there are plenty of secretly operated military areas 'hiding in plain sight'. After reading a bit though I got thinking... this shelter was for Congress were there any bomb shelters ever built for the public to use? Or was it just a build your own and hope it holds type of situation??? Did the government ever help if you wanted to build a bomb shelter???

I don't mean to derail the thread however.

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    I don't know of any public bomb shelters as nice as the government ones, but I know alot of small towns built public bomb shelters. When I was a kid we used to play in the one in Blythe, CA.

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the Greenbrier Hotel had closed. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

6. Dec 5, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The news article is from 1992, but it was so good that it seemed worth a post. I believe the secret relocation center was closed [relocated?] in 1997, but the Hotel continues to operate. This is all officially public information now.

http://www.greenbrier.com/site/
    http://www.greenbrier.com/site/about-history.aspx

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. Dec 5, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had public bomb shelters in the area [S. Cal] when I was a kid, but they were notoriously useless in the event of a nuclear attack.

When I was in the Scouts, we camped next to defunct, formerly secret, underground Nike missile base. I don't remember exactly where it was located. I know we were right on the beach, I think near San Pedro... I keep thinking it might have been near Seal Beach... not sure. Anyway, it was common terrain and one would have never noticed the low long hill that was stocked full of Nike missiles ready to launch. It looked just like any other hill.

There was still some level of activity when we were there. We were allowed to tour part of the complex, but were also warned that high levels of security were in effect for some areas and that we had better not screw around.

amusing anecdote: We came in late at night and set up camp on the beach. The next morning we all woke up with scorpions in our tents and/or sleeping bags.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. Dec 5, 2009 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know the location in New York designated for the President if there is an emergency. Or at least the location as of 5 years ago, I'm no longer in that loop.

But I can't tell anyway, I had to sign papers.

9. Dec 5, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't know why I thought it was closed. Maybe they were closed for a short time for renovations or something. Looks like a nice place for a weekend getaway.

10. Dec 6, 2009 #9
    We had a bomb shelter in our High School. It was stocked full of blankets and cots, 55 gallon drums of water, packages of combs and wooden crates of some type of packaged food. All the food had expired a decade earlier, their was no bathroom, or source of power.

So in the event of a emergency, we could sit in the dark, amidst our own feces, eating rotten food, but our hair would look great!

11. Dec 6, 2009 #10
    Bahaha, that's pretty cool though especially Ivans story about the Nike missiles... I've only ever seen stuff like that in movies. I think the closest bomb shelter to me is The Bombshelter and that's an art store :tongue:.

I guess it's kind of a good thing I didn't have to grow up with all of that going on it was probably really tense times, however to me it seems kind of surreal and mystical hahaha.

12. Dec 6, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

When I was in elementary school, we were told that in the event of an attack, we would file down to the basement. There were no supplies there, to my knowledge. Of course, that was a moot point, since the school was located less than 1/10th of a mile downstream from the largest hydro dam in the state.

If the Soviets wanted to hit Maine, they would have targeted DOW AFB (B-52 base), Brunswick Naval Air Station (home to Orion sub-hunters) for military effect, and for maximum destruction per bomb, the Wyman Dam in Moscow, ME. The impoundment is very deep and is 15 miles long, and breaching that would have destroyed almost all the towns downstream, including the state capitol. Like hiding in the cellar would have saved us...

13. Dec 6, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My grandparents' house had an air raid shelter in the basement. Same deal, no bathroom. It wasn't particularly warm either. I hope the new owner is into wine, because I think the best use for it would be a wine cellar.

I guess it's a little better than hiding under your desks. :biggrin:

14. Dec 6, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

They made us practice that drill, too!!

15. Dec 6, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sometimes wonder if in another 20 years or so, we'll look back and laugh on all the outrageous airport security and perpetual "orange alert" as just as silly and useless as hiding under one's desk to avoid nuclear fallout.

16. Dec 6, 2009 #15
    But the real purpose is not to protect people anways .. :rofl: Airport securities/orange alerts did not help George but I wonder if making students hide under desks turned out to be useful ..

17. Dec 6, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Naming the place Moscow might have been a good move, even assuming there isn't a safety feature build into the Russian missile for "target=Moscow", you have to figure that some junior officer is going to think twice!

18. Dec 6, 2009 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least the desks probably had lead paint!
    Unlike a system that lets me take a couple of lithium grenades and sells me a heavy glass bottle of explosive liquid but took a retractable measuring tape off me because it was 'a tool'

19. Dec 6, 2009 #18

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The targeting system on all(?) Soviet ICBMs were (and perhaps still are) based on punch card, meaning the "targeting data" was essentially just a bunch of holes.
    This in turn means that the people who actually worked in the silos had absolutely no idea about the target, they just inserted the right punch card into the computer before launch.

20. Dec 6, 2009 #19

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thank goodness DHS didn't let you take that on a plane, someone could have been hurt!

21. Dec 6, 2009 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There were plenty of (old) nuclear fall-out shelters in Detroit, evident from the signs on the buildings. There was even one in my apartment complex, which was built in 1929. I thought it was common in the US, but apparently not.

Look at this map of Detroit, it has all the fallout centers marked:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=115394800097517977593.00047482480e6c592faec

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook