Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs and fermion masses

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1

Gold Member

Let me see if I get it right or I dreamed it: in order to give mass to a quark or a lepton the higgs field must be in the same isospin representation that the fermion, must it? IE, can a particle in a isospin triplet get mass from the minimal higgs? Or in the reverse, should a triplet higgs contribute to the mass of a standard model quark?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

The only requirement is that you make a singlet under the gauge group out of the higgs and two fermions---this is the requirement that the Lagrangian be gauge invariant. I may be wrong, but isospin isn't what you should be thinking of. You should be thinking of standard model quantum numbers, i.e. SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1).

I wrote a rather long post on mass terms and the higgs that may answer some of your questions on another forum. I'll link to it here, but I don't know if linking to another forum is exactly kosher :)

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Ah yes, I call isospin to the quantum numbers of the electroweak SU(2). Some old books name it "weak isospin" and I got hang of the name. Point is, given that the left fermion is a SU(2) doublet, are we forced to put the higgs field also in a SU(2) doublet or are there other solutions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?