Is the Higgs Boson Really the Graviton?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Higgs boson and graviton being one and the same, but ultimately concludes that their differences in spin and mass make it unlikely for them to be equivalent. The idea of a relationship between the two is explored, but it is acknowledged that it may not be a promising avenue of research. The conversation also touches on the potential role of additional dimensions in understanding the relationship between mass and gravity.
cpmpal
Hello there.

I have a question, or better yet, a proposition on the higgs boson/graviton: would it be possible for these to be one in the same? What I mean by this is that under the assumption that higgs boson does exist (which I agree with) that gravity is then propagated from the boson.

I understand that basically the higgs boson drags through the higgs field accumulating mass by doing so, and that this mass is then imparted to the other particles by way of collisions; therefore, it's spin must be also zero to be able to collide.

My thoughts then lead to believe that its possible that in a manner similar to an electron propagating a magnetic field perpendicular to the electrical field, so that the higgs field exists like the electrical field and gravity is simply a perpendicular movement of mass

In summary the relationship between electricity and magnetism is the same as the relationship between mass and gravity

I apologize for not having any sort of mathematical proof to backup my theory but I am still a high school student, and currently can grasp the concepts of the standard model but the math behind it is still a little out of league. Thank You! (Sorry to ask a question as my first participation in the forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
The graviton, if it exists, is a spin-2 massless particle.
The Higgs boson, if it exists, is a spin-0 particle with a mass.

I don't see how these two could be the same.

Cyosis said:
The graviton, if it exists, is a spin-2 massless particle.
The Higgs boson, if it exists, is a spin-0 particle with a mass. I don't see how these two could be the same.

In addition, the Higgs boson is expected to be heavy, and gravitons are thought to be massless.

I'm saying hypothetically that the graviton doesn't exist, but the higgs boson exists under its already proven conditions with another condition that it propogates gravity.

cpmpal said:
I'm saying hypothetically that the graviton doesn't exist, but the higgs boson exists under its already proven conditions with another condition that it propogates gravity.
If the Higgs boson had anything to do with gravity, it would be pretty remote. You need to go into additional dimensions, where you can find a "natural" explanation for the weakness of gravity, and where possibly the different chiralities (coupled through the Higgs boson in the SM) leave on different sheets (or branes in string models). Unfortunately, if you really insist into going there, those models often realize Higgless spontaneous electroweak symmetry breaking ! So I'm not saying there is no way any link can exist in principle, all I'm saying is that this is not a promising avenue despite weak analogies.

Bob_for_short said:
In addition, the Higgs boson is expected to be heavy, and gravitons are thought to be massless.

You're right Bob. The Bosons being massive means their interaction is short ranged. The graviton on the contrary acts over a long distance since they have no mass. Spin infact is different so I just don't see how we aregoing to be able to relate the two.

1. What is the Higgs Boson and Graviton?

The Higgs Boson and Graviton are both subatomic particles that are believed to exist in the field of particle physics. The Higgs Boson is responsible for giving particles their mass, while the Graviton is believed to be the carrier particle of the force of gravity.

2. How were the Higgs Boson and Graviton discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland by the ATLAS and CMS experiments. The Graviton, on the other hand, has not been directly observed yet and is still a theoretical particle.

3. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson and Graviton important?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson and Graviton could provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It could also help explain the origin of mass and gravity, which are still mysteries in the field of physics.

4. Can the Higgs Boson and Graviton be used for practical applications?

At the moment, there are no known practical applications for the Higgs Boson or Graviton. However, further research and understanding of these particles could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in the future.

5. Are the Higgs Boson and Graviton the same thing?

No, the Higgs Boson and Graviton are two separate particles with different properties and functions. The Higgs Boson is responsible for mass, while the Graviton is believed to be the carrier particle of gravity.