1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs bosson mass and energy

Tags:
  1. May 20, 2014 #1
    if the Higgs bosson field is responsible for giving particals mass. and mass and energy are interchangable e=mc^2. Then is there a field, like the higgs that is responsible for energy. maybe an exited state of the higgs?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2
    The Higgs boson gives SOME particles their REST mass. E = m c2 has nothing to do with it.

4. May 20, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Which particles don't get their rest mass by Higgs field vev?

5. May 20, 2014 #4
    Hadrons get 99% of their rest mass from the strong interaction, only 1% from Higgs.

6. May 20, 2014 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

ahh you mean bound states, OK... sorry I had in my mind that particles=elementary particles.... (i.e quarks and leptons and the force mediators)

7. May 20, 2014 #6
    scalar particles including the higgs field itself may have intrinsic masses that are not created by a higgs vev.

8. May 20, 2014 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well, that is nice thing to say... :)
    Higgs is the only scalar field (speaking about higgs yet it didn't come to my mind as a particle)
    except for maybe particles coming from anomalously broken symmetries (eg axion? I am not sure because I haven't grasped the essence of anomalies)

9. May 20, 2014 #8
    so when a billiad ball smacks into another billiard ball and energy is transfured. what is actualy being transfured, some kind of carrier partical, a wave in a field or what?

10. May 20, 2014 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

How is this question going to help you??
    Fundamentally-
    In general what is transfered would be some surfacial atoms on the balls because of the inertia...
    Also some virtual photons between the particles of the one ball and the other to get the momentum transfer, because every such process is electromagnetic....
    Of course, classical mechanics is good enough for this...

11. May 20, 2014 #10

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't the Higgs boson itself derive mass from spontaneous symmetry breaking, and therefore would be with its interaction with the gauge fields? So one might say the gauge vector bosons acquire mass at the same time as the Higgs due to their interaction with one another.

12. May 21, 2014 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

No it doesn't... the Higgs has its mass added by hand as a free parameter of the Standard Model, when you write down the potential....

13. May 21, 2014 #12
    Correction: The Higgs is the only scalar field experimentally confirmed so far.

14. May 21, 2014 #13
    No, the Higgs field has a running mass which is positive at very high energies but becomes negative at lower energy. It is this flipping of the sign of the mass term in the Lagrangian that signals the electroweak symmetry breaking generating masses for the vector bosons and spinnor fields.

15. Jun 5, 2014 #14

Bill_K

Science Advisor

If neutrinos have a Majorana mass, this would come from elsewhere besides Higgs.

16. Jun 5, 2014 #15

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think in Majorana framework when you insert right handed neutrinos, there is indeed a coupling to the higgs field.... (higgs*lepton)neutrino_R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook