Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs Branching Ratios

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Hi there :)

I'm currently looking at Higgs Branching ratios. The fermions are all behaving as expected from the Yukawa terms and producing results proportional to mass. I'm a bit confused however that my WW (and WW*) BRs are higher than ZZ (and ZZ*), I was expecting tem to be the other way around - what is causing this result? On a simular note, I am also finding higher cross sections for W's than Zs for Higgs production via both Bremstrahlung and WW, ZZ fusion.

Thank you very much in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    oops - I have just read the 'homework and coursework rules', just to be clear this is a dissertation related question. I have asked my supervisor and he is not sure exactly why this is happening but is happy for me to talk to someone else - I would definately explain that I asked on a forum. I hope this addresses any potential cheating at homework problems - I can repost in the homework section if need be.

thanks again is advance

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

There are two W's and only one Z. So there are two ways to make WW* (W+W*- and vice versa) but only one to make ZZ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?