Exploring Higgs Branching Ratios: Surprising Results for WW and ZZ Production

In summary, the conversation is discussing the results of Higgs Branching ratios, specifically the higher cross sections for W's compared to Zs in Higgs production via Bremstrahlung and WW, ZZ fusion. The question is raised about the higher WW (and WW*) BRs compared to ZZ (and ZZ*) and the potential reasons for this result. The speaker also clarifies that this is a dissertation-related question and has asked their supervisor for help. They are open to talking to someone else for further explanation.
Spoons
Hi there :)

I'm currently looking at Higgs Branching ratios. The fermions are all behaving as expected from the Yukawa terms and producing results proportional to mass. I'm a bit confused however that my WW (and WW*) BRs are higher than ZZ (and ZZ*), I was expecting tem to be the other way around - what is causing this result? On a simular note, I am also finding higher cross sections for W's than Zs for Higgs production via both Bremstrahlung and WW, ZZ fusion.

Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
oops - I have just read the 'homework and coursework rules', just to be clear this is a dissertation related question. I have asked my supervisor and he is not sure exactly why this is happening but is happy for me to talk to someone else - I would definitely explain that I asked on a forum. I hope this addresses any potential cheating at homework problems - I can repost in the homework section if need be.

thanks again is advance

There are two W's and only one Z. So there are two ways to make WW* (W+W*- and vice versa) but only one to make ZZ.

1. What are Higgs branching ratios?

Higgs branching ratios refer to the probabilities of a Higgs boson decaying into different particle combinations. These probabilities are determined by the properties of the Higgs boson and the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is exploring Higgs branching ratios important?

Exploring Higgs branching ratios can provide insight into the nature of the Higgs boson and the fundamental forces of the universe. It can also help test the predictions of the Standard Model and potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.

3. What are the surprising results for WW and ZZ production?

The surprising results for WW and ZZ production refer to the unexpected differences in the branching ratios for these two processes. Previous theories and experiments predicted equal branching ratios for WW and ZZ production, but recent studies have shown a significant difference between the two.

4. What implications do these surprising results have?

The surprising results for WW and ZZ production could have implications for our understanding of the Higgs boson and the Standard Model, as well as potential implications for new physics. It could also impact future experiments and studies involving Higgs branching ratios.

5. How are Higgs branching ratios measured and studied?

Higgs branching ratios are measured and studied using data from high-energy particle collider experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists analyze the decay products of Higgs bosons produced in these collisions to determine the branching ratios and make comparisons with theoretical predictions.