Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs Decay

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I had a doubt about a specific Higgs boson decay.

In the process [itex]H[/itex] -> [itex]c[/itex]+[itex]\bar{s}[/itex]+[itex]W^-[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is the charm quark, [itex]\bar{s}[/itex] the anti strange quark, in tree level I wrote the diagrams sent in attachment.

View attachment Diagram 1.pdf

View attachment Diagram 2.pdf

View attachment Diagram 3.pdf

My question is: does the third diagram exist? I do know that the [itex]s[/itex] quark can't decay to the charm quark since it's mass is inferior to the mass of the charm quark. But in that diagram the strange quark is virtual so...there comes my confusion...

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    Yes, it exists. The s can't be on-shell in that process; but, then, the c can't be on-shell in diagram 2 either, so there's not really that big a distinction.

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    oh you're right. I was so focused in the quarks' masses that I didn't even think about the W boson. Thank you very much

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should also note that the Higgs coupling scales with with the mass of the particle-antiparticle pair being coupled to. So the coupling to ##s\bar{s}## is far smaller than that to ##c\bar{c}##, which is itself almost two orders of magnitude smaller than the coupling to ##W^+W^-##.

It is actually expected that the tree-level diagrams involving ##Hs\bar{s}## and ##Hc\bar{c}## give a smaller contribution than the one-loop diagram involving ##Ht\bar{t}## for many decay channels (though perhaps not the one you are considering).

6. Jun 24, 2012 #5
    Indeed I was only considering tree level and this decays but that's really interesting.

I am to draw the contributions of each diagram and compare to the total width of the higgs in the not excluded regions by the LHC and LEP and that is a nice conclusion that I can take.

Thank you

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I never saw this decay in any diagram of the branching fractions, but as I would expect H->WW->Wcs as dominating channel, it might be included in the WW part.

"not excluded regions" is basically some region close to 125 MeV now, and probably just 125 MeV +- resolution after the presentations next week.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook