Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs field and graviton

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    After the Cern discovery supporting the Higgs field Which is something I have little familiarity with. Due mainly to fourm opinions not necessarily this one that had discounted anything Higgs related.
    I started wondering if we do need a graviton to be the force carrier of gravity in the standard model.
    For example a larger mass hence a larger concentration of Higgs bosons/field could be used to represent the amount of gravity influence or could it?

Hopefully I am not out on left wing on that thought.

I've always had trouble thinking of gravity as a force even though its accepted as one but thats another topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

The graviton has spin 2, but the Higgs has spin 0. A theory with spin 0 graviton was formulated by Nordstrom, but it turns out to disagree with the perihelion precession of mercury.

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    If gravity were somehow a result of the Higgs, light would be totally unaffected by gravity, since the Higgs does not couple at all to photons. The trouble is one of the very first pieces of corroborating evidence for GR was the deflection of starlight by the sun as observed during a solar eclipse. (And, since then, there's plenty of other evidence for such gravitational lensing effects.)

Also, most of the mass in ordinary matter actually comes from the strong force, meaning that we would see a large discrepancy between inertial and gravitational effects.

5. Dec 22, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the replies. Ihad not considered the spins of the 2 particles.
    I also didnt know that the strong force was responsible for most of the mass.
    If anyone has good articles with the mathematics included on the Higgs I would appreciate it

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5
    Gravity is not yet part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

From MarkM in another thread:

7. Dec 22, 2012 #6
    Judging from the replies I suggest this thread should be moved to a more suitable forum. Thanks for the replies so far I definetely need a better understanding on the Higgs

8. Dec 22, 2012 #7
    yes, Higgs seems a VERY mathematical entity. Yet somebody think they have confirmed it via experimental observation.

I am still collecting explanations trying to understand it more fully. It is also stuck in as a component of the inflation model of cosmology, and if you read this post of mine from today, Post #17,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=659756&page=2

you'll see Roger Penrose has his own doubts about such an approach. [He seems a rather skeptical guy.]

Apparently the Higgs field can be utilized [it exists] when the vacuum field has a
    vacuum expectation value....apparently the Casimir effect demonstrates this...at least to some, but I have read of doubts as well. The Casimir effect is, I believe, an observable, but the exact cause seems doubtful to some.

What I do not like, if it is accurate, if it is true, every time you have a new particle, a new mass, you need a new Higgs. Isn't that a bit artificial?

9. Dec 22, 2012 #8
    Actually a very tiny percent of nucleon mass comes from the presence of Higgs. Most of the mass (and hence gravity) of a nucleon comes from the binding energy. What Higgs does is differing the masses of proton and neutron. A proton is lighter, so it is stable. If Higgs operated differently, proton would be unstable and would decay into a neutron, positon and a neutrino.

So - Higgs has very little to do with gravity at the first glance. It rather explains decay chains than anything gravity-related.

10. Dec 25, 2012 #9
    Several posters have managed to point out how much I need to learn with regatds to Higgs in general.

I would greatly appreciate any non multi media articles explianing how the Higgs boson compares to other particles in the standard model. As well as the mathematics and theorum in the amount of mass and influence in our early universe

11. Dec 25, 2012 #10

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No, no, in the Standard Model there is only one Higgs field and only one Higgs boson. The mass of a fermion is m = vC, where v is the magnitude of the Higgs field (the same for everybody) and C is a coupling constant (different for different fermions). The origin and values of C are "BSM" physics, unexplained by the present model.

12. Dec 25, 2012 #11
    Seems everybody agrees on the Standard Model...one Higgs field

My poorly worded question/comment referred to the initial, inflationary spontaneous symmetry breaking period....

13. Dec 25, 2012 #12
    Although no math, Brian Greene in FABRIC OF THE COSMOS has some insightful explanations of early universe Higgs fields in Chapters 9 and 10.
    And more about the Standard model later in the book.

For example, one interesting insight relating to string theory: [pg 373]

You can probably buy a used copy cheap online....that's what I did....

14. Dec 25, 2012 #13
    Thanks Naty1 Ill look for a copy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook