Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs Field Question.

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1

Gold Member

Higgs hypothesized that mass derives from the coupling constant of various particles with the Higgs Boson, a spin zero boson, which would itself have mass, which does not couple with the photon. Thus, inertial mass derives from particles in motion needed to overcome Higgs Bosons grabbing at them slowing them down from the default rate of movement in the absence of these couplings which is c.

The proposed graviton, which would be a spin two Boson which interacts with photons, would then be a particle creating a force to drag other particles through the Higgs field just like any other force.

My questions: Is the Higgs field an alternative to the curvature of space description of gravity described by GR or in a QM interpretation with a Higgs Field and a Graviton does this apparent curvature derive from the field equations associated with the Graviton?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2
    When symmetry is spontaneously broken, the vacuum state is not the lowest energy state. You "shift" the fields using a gauge transformation so that the new fields do have the vacuum state the lowest. This involves incorporating the Higgs field to achieve this. The new equations have a mass term appearing. i.e. the "shift" causes the energy to go from the vacuum to the particle. (my interpretation only.)

The curvature of space-time in GR is, as I understand, completely unrelated and therein lies the big problem. I wish I knew how to fix this "patch"!!
  4. Nov 16, 2004 #3

Higgs particles can be like black holes in Quantum Gravity - no?
  5. Nov 16, 2004 #4

Can't you just see it at the LHC?
    Oooooh - nice little black holes. Now
    where are those Higgs particles? :confused:
  6. Nov 17, 2004 #5

From what I know, the Higgs field and the curvature of space are not alternative descriptions.

The Higgs field describes why particles (mass) need a force to be moved through space (= space is "something") and that an acceleration of a particle can be measured against space itself (not only against other particles, see also SRT).

A mass particle experiences both at the same time: the curvature of space was well as the Higgs field. The acceleration principles of the SRT (here: Higgs field) apply also under the GRT which comprehends gravitation.

Take care,
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?