1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs fields project help

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Problem
    I have a project for my university class on the Higgs fields and how it impacts the standard model, and how the Higgs particle is formed and decays into particles with the probability of decay based on the mass of the particles it will decay into.

I need resources that I can cite like papers that are beginner friendly that would describe how the Higgs field impacts the standard model in general and the masses of elementary particles in standard model.

(By beginner friendly I mean for someone who has introductory level knowledge of Quantum Field Theory but not at the level of a graduate student)

I also need a resources I can cite for on the Feynman rules for the Higgs vertices and how it interacts with other fields.

I am an undergraduate so you know what level papers I can read

Solution attempt
    I have read my textbook but it is not mean to be used as the primary resource and it does not contain enough information to write a paper.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which is your textbook? Do you know how to derive Feynman rules from a given Lagrangian? Do you know how to go from Feynman diagrams to a decay rate or cross section?

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    My textbook is Particle Physics by Brian Martin it is not very detailed

I can derive the Feynman rules via the Lagrangian and go from Feynman diagrams to a decay rate or cross section but I am only an amateur at this so I don't want to make a mistake hence why I would prefer a it already done.

5. May 13, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are comfortable deriving Feynman rules, you can at least get to the allowed vertices. I assume you have also seen figures such as these: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/AtlasPublic/HiggsTheoryPlots
    You may also draw the diagrams of interest if you have the rules. Just note that the Higgs to gamma gamma is the channel that we actually got the most evidence from despite its low branching ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted