Higgs Mechanism and Lorentz transformation of currents

In summary, when taking a Lorentz transformation, both the components of the vector field and the derivative operator need to be transformed using the appropriate transformation equations.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the Higgs mechanism lagrangian, $$\mathcal L = (D_{\mu} \phi)^* (D^{\mu} \phi) -\mu^2 (\phi^* \phi) - \lambda (\phi^* \phi)^2 - \frac{1}{4}F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu},$$ with ##F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}## and ##D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} + iqA_{\mu}##. One can show that then ##\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu \nu} = J^{\nu}##, where ##J_{\nu} = iq ((D^{\nu} \phi)^* \phi - \phi^* D^{\nu} \phi)##. Following spontaneous symmetry breaking, the massless gauge field acquires mass and let's suppose it has the following oscillatory behaviour $$A_{\mu} = \cos (M t) \epsilon^{1}_{\mu}$$ where ##\epsilon^1_{\mu} = (0,1,0,0)## What is the four vector current and what is it if I apply a lorentz boost in the z direction?

2. Homework Equations

lorentz boost in z direction is $$t' = \gamma \left( t -\frac{vz}{c^2}\right)$$ and ##z' = \gamma(z-vt)##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I can evaluate the components of ##A_{\mu}## to get ##A_{\mu} = (0,\cos (Mt), 0, 0)## and then I could just evaluate the four current by evaluating each of its four components separately. When I am taking a lorentz transformation, would I just send ##t \rightarrow t'## and use the equation given above in relevant equations? Or would I also need to consider transformation of the differential operator as well?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in this problem. To answer your question, when taking a Lorentz transformation, you would indeed need to consider the transformation of the differential operator as well. This is because the transformation of a vector field involves both the transformation of its components and the transformation of the derivative operators acting on those components. So in this case, you would need to use the transformation equations for both the vector field ##A_{\mu}## and the derivative operator ##D_{\mu}##.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs Mechanism is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass. It proposes the existence of a field called the Higgs field, which permeates the entire universe. When particles interact with this field, they gain mass and become the building blocks of matter.

2. How does the Higgs Mechanism work?

The Higgs Mechanism works by giving particles mass through their interactions with the Higgs field. The Higgs field is made up of Higgs bosons, which are particles that are constantly popping in and out of existence. When particles interact with the Higgs bosons, they gain mass.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs boson is the particle that is responsible for giving other particles mass through the Higgs field. It is the key component of the Higgs Mechanism and was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider.

4. What is the Lorentz transformation of currents?

The Lorentz transformation of currents is a mathematical equation that describes how electric and magnetic fields transform when an observer changes their frame of reference in special relativity. It helps to explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they are affected by the relative motion between observers.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation of currents relate to the Higgs Mechanism?

The Lorentz transformation of currents is used to describe the behavior of particles in special relativity, which is a crucial aspect of understanding the Higgs Mechanism. The Higgs field and Higgs boson are both affected by the Lorentz transformation, and this plays a role in how particles gain mass through the Higgs Mechanism.